Author Topic: Jumping Up  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: Jumping Up
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 05:08:42 PM »
SA - sounds great advice, I will try that too.  Did it take long to "train" your wife to get the beer out  :005:  :005:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »
Avis, will pm you, don't want to start another discussion about lung worm. ;)

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 07:53:35 PM »
 :bigarmhug: for you and hope youve found the beers in the fridge!

Youve had some great advice and I cannot add anything more...other than to say Freya (who I think is about the same sort of age bar a week or two) can be exactly the same as Toby...

Yesterday: my sis heard Freyas "foghorn" groan which usually means she wants something and she found Freya sitting on the dining room table (nothing on there  >:() and she was groaned cos she couldnt get back down!! Grrr  :lol2: I can only laugh as I wasnt there but I certainly hope this doesnt happen again!!

Most days folk on our walk allow her to scrabble up at them and their legs...most of them know Freya and have not let her do this and they make her sit...Freya is getting the idea but this does lapse in excitement..

I think Im trying to say I am going through the exact same thing as when I come home Freya is on a pogo stick up at me...as said we just keep going and I hope one day it will all sink in to her little brain!!

I wish you and Toby good luck with your continued training  :luv: :luv:
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »
Coggins

OMG, sat on the dining room table, little minx  :005:  Toby is a bit too "cute".  I've been practising the "down" with him as others have suggested and he is now actually getting down, then I click and treat.  After about 20 mins and a sackful of treats  :005: he actually seemed to get the message and got all 4 paws on the ground.  I thought "I can sit here all night doing this" so I stopped giving the treats and just praised and patted him.  He looked at me with those eyes as if to say "where's the treats then".  I carried on like this for a few minutes then he gave up and lay down quietly.  I swear the little so and so plays me up cos he knows he'll get a treat when I try and calm him down. >:(  I'm babbling, hope you get what I mean).  Now, where's the wine bottle, I've earnt it today (hic).

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 09:29:26 PM »
Coggins

I swear the little so and so plays me up cos he knows he'll get a treat when I try and calm him down. >:(  I'm babbling, hope you get what I mean).  Now, where's the wine bottle, I've earnt it today (hic).

He could well be  :shades:

Charlie jumps up at people but he is a lot better since we started to ask him to sit as soon as he approaches for some attention. It's an automatic response now for him to approach and sit rather than approach and jump up then be told 'off' and given a reward. It was just a case of being quick and getting in there first!

I have to be quite firm with Millie around food as she gets very excited. She pretends to be just running up and down but then has a crafty 'drag the nose across the plate' if you're eating off your lap  >:( :005:. Again I get in there before she has a chance to do the wrong thing and ask her quietly to lie down. If she settles then she gets an occasional bit of food drop in front of her nose (especially take away night as she lurves chips!). If she doesn't settle then she gets a sharp 'ah ah' and a more stern 'lie down' which usually does the trick, then again once she's settled for a while she starts getting rewards.

Are you going to allow him on the sofa at all? The biggest reward for Millie for not clawing at me and trying to climb up is to then let her up for a cuddle. She is now fairly good at sitting and giving me the cuddle stare until I relent  :005:

Millie

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 02:13:15 PM »
Hi Sarah

Our settee is only 6 months old so I don't want Toby to get on it at all.  He has a lovely new, comfy bed in the sitting room and I place it near the settee but he is always restless and jumps in and out of it.  He spends most of his time in the sitting room jumping up me while I'm sat on the settee (as Karma said, I will have to sit on the floor from now on).  I've been coaxing him down and like I said in my last post, last night I'm sure he kept jumping up and getting down just to get a treat - he soon stopped jumping when I left out the treats and just praised him!!!  Everything is a game to him at the moment as he is still a baby, but this jumping really needs to be overcome soon.  He jumped up someone this morning before I had a chance to restrain him but the person was understanding, but was left with mud on his jeans.  Sometimes it all feels like a downhill battle but perseverence and patience will get us there hopefully.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 01:57:51 PM »
Another thing that can help (and you can set this up with friends out on walks if they are willing) is to have a handful of treats, call him and as you call him, throw the treats on the floor, and click as he gets to you. That way he will be encouraged to look for the treats on the floor rather than jumping up. If you can then practise with as many people as possible (giving them handfuls of treats in advance, obviously), he should start to associate going to people with needing to look on the floor for the treats.

Work at this in tangent with teaching him to have his feet on the floor.

If he has been ignoring "down" for a while then I would probably choose a new word (we say "floor") and start right from scratch, setting him up to succeed as much as possible.

When praising him by petting him, do really slow, calming strokes on him rather than ruffling him or anything as slow stroking will help to calm him down.

You'll get there in the end, don't give up!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 02:15:04 PM »
Thanks for the great advice everyone.  Much appreciated.  I changed my word to "off" now but I still need to lower him to the ground as he still will not do it at the  "off" command voluntarily.  It's taking a while to sink in but I'm sure the penny will drop before too long.  As we all know, patience and perseverence.  Thanks again.