Author Topic: Moving on to 'senior' food  (Read 693 times)

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Moving on to 'senior' food
« on: February 03, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
It's just crossed my mind that Pepsi will be 7 in a few days time. We currently still feed her on a regular complete dried food but was wondering if I should change to a 'senior' food some time. She's about a kg over what the vet would like but has been for a couple of years. She isn't really slowing down any so not sure I need to change??

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Moving on to 'senior' food
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:18:58 AM »
My 10 year old is on senior food and I changed her over when she was 7. My 7 year old boy is still on adult food as he is very active and the senior foods usually have less fat content. They are both on joint supplements as they do agility. I think some of the new research suggests senior foods may not be necessary. It's a minefield, all the opinions and info on dog food...  Good luck with whatever you decide! 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 11:06:56 AM »
William will be 8 years old in May. He's raw fed, not kibble, and is a very active and slim dog. The advice in the past always used to be to consider your dog as senior when it reached 7 (which is silly as a giant breed will be old at 7 and a toy barely middle aged generally speaking). I've just started to do some online research about it. My main concern was protein levels because a lower protein food used to be recommended for older dogs.

It seems that research and various trials have shown that lower protein food isn't seen as necessary for older dogs (or even those with kidney problems) any more. The quality of the protein is seen as more important. That's as far as I've got at the moment. I know not to believe everything you read online but I kept coming up with the same advice about protein from a number of sources.

William has Yumove tablets to help his joints and Dorwest Keeper's Mix as a general conditioner. My personal opinion at the moment is not to change much with him while he remains fit and active. I may change him back to kibble in the mornings and raw in the evening, but that's only because he tends to get constipated on raw because of the bone content, nothing to do with age. I've ordered some Fish4Dogs sardine kibble to try him on for one meal a day. I chose that one because it's high in oily fish and should help with joint care.

Finding the right food is definitely a minefield, so many opinions. As Pepsi has been a little bit overweight for some time you might want to consider changing her food anyway, but think of options rather than just a senior kibble. Good luck :D

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:34:17 AM »
When I fed commercial food I did switch over to senior food at 7 yrs old.

I now feed a raw diet and so far I haven't really made any significant changes to Penny's diet other than to try to ensure she doesn't become over weight. She is now 9.5 yrs and has been fed raw from being 8 weeks old.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 02:03:49 PM »
Thanks, Pepsi doesn't get just kibble, I also feed raw chicken wings, bones and raw veg regularly so I think I'll just see how she goes as her weight has remained  stable for the last few years, if she starts to gain I can always rething :D

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 03:38:15 PM »
I think if she's happy and healthy on what she has, then stick with that.  I've just moved Tilly (nearly 9) onto senior food as she put on a kilo, despite having the same amount of food and exercise.  I understand that the senior food is lower calorie and has additives for joints and so far she does appear to have lost some weight.  When she's back to her fighting weight - 10 kilos - I will give her a bit more and see how she goes.  She's still an active little dog, but she has slowed down a bit on her walks I think.

Sue and Tilly

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 03:41:40 PM »

I put Dylan on BH Senior just before he turned 9 he will be 11 in June.  It has a higher protein but lower fat. Have just changed Jessie onto it she will be 8 in May.

Erica.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »
I have never put any of my dogs on senior food. My lurcher is now almost 11, but hasn't slowed down at all and is still on normal adult (kibble and raw) food and I have no intention of changing that. My saluki is also 7 and will remain on normal adult food.

I do however add a joint supplement when they hit around 7 just to make sure that their joints function well as long as possible.  :D
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk