Author Topic: what whistle?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline KayJay

Re: what whistle?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 10:28:03 PM »
Assistant trainer really....my daughter is the professional. I just help out, though I read and research at least as much! Just keen to improve my understanding! I love it!  :lol2:
Kay Jennings CAP 1 & 2
www.fourpawsonedirection.co.uk

Offline Pilki

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »
My whistle has arrived.

Here goes........

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »
take your time and don't rush it you are trying to create a solid association here ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Pilki

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 04:39:29 PM »
Did try it at first he took the treats, but then gave up and wouldn't bother then.  What was i doing wrong.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »
Did try it at first he took the treats, but then gave up and wouldn't bother then.  What was i doing wrong.
They have to be very special treats.  ;)  My girls only ever get pilchard cake when they recall to the whistle.  To them it is a VERY high value treat and gets them back instantly.  :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Pilki

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 05:17:06 PM »
i did try with hot dog sausages, maybe i will have to make some pichard cake.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »
Just make sure the treats are VERY high value to your boy.  Doesn't really matter what they are as long as your dog values them and reserve them just for whistle recall.  ;)
Pilki, do you have any photos of your boy?  He reminds me of my Marley when she was a pup.  :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Pilki

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »
Yes i do I will ave to suss how to put them on here.  lol

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »

How did you train him with the whistle?
Julie and Watson

Offline seaangler

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 09:10:28 PM »

How did you train him with the whistle?

I stated in doors with the whistle first(first get your dog to know the whistle first)...I hid first blow the wistle twice and wate for gemma to find me..Then move to diferent rooms of the house...Then out side....And got further and further away...But i did not give treats only some of the time when...I went to are odd fellows hall got one of the chaps to hold her out side the hall while i hid under the stage blow the wistle two times...And they sent her in...Was a hard find then i rewared her...when she did find me..

There are other ways to train your dog to the whistle....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline praia

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »
Having high value rewards is important, but just because you have an extremely high value food item doesn't mean that a dog will care especially once she's already getting her own reward from doing whatever she pleases.  

If the training isn't working then you need to start from the very beginning, setting up the dog for success in an environment you have control over.  I don't give my own dogs any opportunity to run off while recall training, because they are kept on a check cord until they can prove to me that they'll recall no matter the level of distraction.  The key isn't necessarily the value of the reward, but in the fluency of a dog's conditioned response. Start slow, start easy, and gradually build up on the distraction levels to proof the behavior.  You want a dog that has a turn on a dime recall, because it's been conditioned so thoroughly that it's an automatic response. I used food to first teach a whistle recall in my cocker pup (whistling at every meal time from day 1), but personally I don't like carrying food with me so I've moved on to using other rewards to reinforce the behavior.  

Build up whatever reward you choose in your dogs mind, and also remember to be a bit unpredictable when dispensing those rewards.  Give one, give a handful, offer an entirely new and extremely valuable reward so that the dog won't come to think that he can weigh up the value of the potential reward you have to offer or the reward already right before him. He can't fully consider his options if he can't easily predict what hand you have to offer.  More importantly, build up the conditioned response through an enormous amount of repetition and by gradual increasing distraction levels to proof that behavior.