Author Topic: Lunging At Everything  (Read 742 times)

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Lunging At Everything
« on: March 16, 2005, 06:43:37 PM »
I don't mean me personally :lol:

Max has a habit of lunging all the time.
Have been working hard with him lately but can't seem to stop this happening.

He lunges at me when he knows i have a treat, when i am doing food, when i walk in the kitchen carrying an arm full of dishes :o  And he can jump - how i haven't smashed all my plates i don't know :huh:
He does it everytime i walk in the same room as him too.
He's literally knocks people of their feet when he lunges :(   Normally my sons' girlfriend :huh:

I try to stop it before he starts but he always gets in the lunge first <_<

Pleased to say that i don't say Max repeatedly throughout the day now :D  so he is getting better at most things except this.

Edited to add

How did it get in the grooming section :ph34r:
Can a kind Mod move for me please :D
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline paddys mum

• Site Member
Lunging At Everything
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 07:10:16 PM »
No advice to give as such. Im sure someone with much more experience will be along soon, just wanted to say hope things get better soon, Paddy used to do this a bit and I ended up with bruises all over the tops of my legs. So I tended to turn my back when he did this and only turned back when he was calmer or sat down and made a fuss, gave a treat etc.
Nicola, Grace & Paddy xxx

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Lunging At Everything
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 07:19:21 PM »
Oooo I hope someone can help coz Oscar does this too! :D
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Lunging At Everything
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 09:11:59 PM »
He lunges at me when he knows i have a treat, when i am doing food, when i walk in the kitchen carrying an arm full of dishes :o  And he can jump - how i haven't smashed all my plates i don't know :huh:
He does it everytime i walk in the same room as him too.
He's literally knocks people of their feet when he lunges :(   Normally my sons' girlfriend :huh:

I try to stop it before he starts but he always gets in the lunge first <_<

How to you react to the "lunge"? Molo used to jump/lunge, all the time, and we have reduced it by ensuring that he gets no attention, not even eye contact, until he is is sitting still at our feet  :blink:

So, he sits for a treat, and then gets it. He must stand nicely by the puppy-gate across the door before we go through it to him - if he jumps at it, we turn our backs on him. When we walk into the room, he has to be calm before we fuss him - if he jumps/lunges, we walk across the room, ignoring him completely (and trying not to tred on him or trip over in the process) until he is calmer.

If you give him attention when he lunges (even by saying NO or restraining him) you are rewarding the lunging, and he repeats it cos he knows he is going to get a reaction from you  :rolleyes:

It is a long process; in fact, until I read your thread and thought about it, I hadn't realised how much better Molo is than he was a few months ago - it does work, but it takes a lot of persevervence, scratched legs and laddered tights  :lol:

Good luck!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Lunging At Everything
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 09:26:32 PM »
I think the lunging is the one thing with him i do react most to - probably because it is difficult not to tell him off - especially when carrying things :huh:
And he can jump the gate so has to be told no <_<

Maybe i am the one that needs training to keep my mouth shut :lol:  any volunteers :P

Will have to bite my tongue and see how he gets on  :D

And i so identify with the scratched legs <_<
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi