Author Topic: Is raw cauli and broccoli ok?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline VickyG

• Holly & Henry - Double trouble!!
Is raw cauli and broccoli ok?
« on: May 14, 2012, 10:34:49 AM »
Hiya peeps,

Henry has, since he's been 'done' put on a little bit of weight.  He is a show cocker and he is and always has been a little chunky monkey but he now weighs in at a hefty 16kg and our vet has recommend that he should lose a couple of kilo's.  I've reduced his feed but I have been doing a lot of training with both Holly and Henry and using treats, so I have swapped all the doggie treats to bits of raw broccoli and raw cauli which they both love.

Just wanting to check is it ok to feed them these veggies and is it ok to have them raw - I do cut them up into little chunks but just checking.

ta muchly  :D
cocker spaniels make everything ok

Offline Ebbysmum

• Donator
  • Lexi 5, Ebony 4, Maddie 1 and Gracie 2
Re: Is raw cauli and broccoli ok?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 11:29:01 AM »
I always give ours raw broccoli and cauliflower. They love it. Never done ours any harm!
www.saltdogstudios.co.uk  www.facebook.com/saltdogstudios
Handmade Dog Collars, Leads and Accessories

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »
Mine love carrots, sugarsnap peas, strawberries, apple, bananas, pear, melon.

in fact my dogs eat healthier than me.

Offline sebanelli

• Our gorgeous Harry
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 01:50:55 PM »
Whole carrots are a BIG hit with our 4 and MUCH cheaper than dog treats like Jumbones! In fact, they seem to enjoy just about anything fruit and veg we give them. Their favourite, though, has to be sweet peppers which they absolutely adore. :005:
The Fantastic Four: Oliver, Amber, Dylan, and Harry

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
Ours eat just about all fruit and veg except parsnips.  Parsnips are a big no no apparently chez CB.

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »
Yup, we have a four legged caui and broccoli fan here  :005:  ...sometimes just as a big chunk to munch on and sometimes chopped up in the dinner bowl. Goes down a treat - in fact more so that a more 'doggie specific' treat :D

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »
Cauli is loved here... and broccoli stalks... but I have something in my head about them not having too much broccoli because of something it contains, but am sure its something like 5-10% of their diet makes it dodgy which I'm sure isn't how much they get as treats  ;)
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 11:13:42 AM »
Cauli is loved here... and broccoli stalks... but I have something in my head about them not having too much broccoli because of something it contains, but am sure its something like 5-10% of their diet makes it dodgy which I'm sure isn't how much they get as treats  ;)

Off the top of my head I think it's the iodine inhibiting quality of these veg - therefore sluggish thyroid function - that means it shouldn't be given in large quanitites. 

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »

Off the top of my head I think it's the iodine inhibiting quality of these veg - therefore sluggish thyroid function - that means it shouldn't be given in large quanitites. 
Oh I do love this forum... can't believe the diversity of knowledge on here sometimes!!!   :shades:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 11:39:50 AM »

Oh I do love this forum... can't believe the diversity of knowledge on here sometimes!!!   :shades:

...yerr well, not usually from my direction sadly so I sense your surprise  :rofl1:

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 11:53:56 PM »
Yes be careful with broccoli. This can actually cause big problems with thyroid function if given too often.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline revis

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »
Maggie loves cauli and broccoli too in fast all vegetables and seems fine with them.

Offline Catie74

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 10:38:04 PM »
Ours eat just about all fruit and veg except parsnips.  Parsnips are a big no no apparently chez CB.

Can't blame them there.  I adore all vegetables except parsnips.  I hate them, even the smell makes my stomach turn.

When I rehomed Willow she was 18.3 kg and a small cocker in height.  6 weeks on and she is down to 15.3kg so we still have a long way to go.  I feed her The natural dog food company light kibble, but we have started training classes so as treats for that I take diced carrot, green beans. and cucumber. Thankfully she loves them