Author Topic: Hello from naughty Lola !!  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Rob an Nik

Hello from naughty Lola !!
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:11:21 AM »
Hi we are Rob and Nicola and our 10 week old puppy Lola

She looks very cute in the pics below but dont let looks decieve you !! she is a terror  :lol2:

We got her when she was just 7 weeks as she was the 2nd but last to go from the litter. Not ideal we know but he ho

She is from working pedigree stock but not KC registered, I believe due to the fact that she has a flash of blue roan on her chest, nose and paws. we are not bothered by that as she is a family dog and we have no intentions of litters !!

Anyway hello from us all and we will no doubt be posting some questions up on the main board, quizzing you experts on some of the more challenging aspects of owning a cocker spaniel !!

Our previous pup was a springer and he was quite different in a lot of ways !!

Regards

Rob

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Re: Hello from naughty Lola !!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:18:25 AM »
Hello Rob and Nicola,

Your Lola is beautiful  :luv: I can't believe she could possibly be a terror  :005:

I am Jen, and I have my lovely orange roan boy Bingley (almost 7 months now!).

COL is a great place to get advice and knowledge from experienced cocker owners, and equally brilliant for sharing frustrations and questions with fellow new cocker owners!

Looking forward to hearing all about Lola, and seeing her grow.

Jen & Bingley

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:26:29 AM »
Welcome to COL  :D 

Just FYI, her colouring is perfectly fine - it wouldn't be if she were a show cocker but it doesn't matter so much in working cockers, and it certainly doesn't influence registering working cocker puppies.  Even with the white flashes she is still considered a solid black  Her colour is no reason not to get a litter KC registered  ;)  Did they actually tell you that was why? 

It's really concerning that there is a spate of working cockers arriving that have been let go to new homes at 7 weeks -  it seems to be a worrying trend (you're not the first  ;))
helen & jarvis x

Offline Rob an Nik

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »
Hi Helen the breeder assured me that she was fully weaned and ready to leave. With our limited experience we took her word.

It was only afterwards when struggling with bad separation anxiety and play biting that we found this may be a major contributing factor :embarassed:

A lot of what we are going through is just typical, normal puppy behaviour  :P  I think we have just forgotten how hard work it actually is  :blink:

Billy our springer was happy to be alone for several hours at this age but Lola hates been alone for even a minute or so !!  she is getting gradually better now and at least we are moving in the right direction with her   :blink:

Thanks for the warm welcome  :shades:

Rob

Offline Rob an Nik

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »
Hi Helen the breeder assured me that she was fully weaned and ready to leave. With our limited experience we took her word. No she didnt explain that was the reason for no KC registry but we assumed when we saw the colouration and read the breed standard. EWe have seen the documentation for her parents. Both of whom we saw and were lovely dogs ( dad was black and white and mum was blue roan )and they both came from a respected gundog breeder in saltburn. (The name escapes me)

It was only afterwards when struggling with bad separation anxiety and play biting that we found the early seperation may be a major contributing factor :embarassed:

A lot of what we are going through is just typical, normal puppy behaviour  :P  I think we have just forgotten how hard work it actually is  :blink:

Billy our springer was happy to be alone for several hours at this age but Lola hates been alone for even a minute or so !!  she is getting gradually better now and at least we are moving in the right direction with her   :blink:

Thanks for the warm welcome  :shades:

Rob

Offline maddy74

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 12:15:41 PM »
Hi and welcome Rob and Nik,

Lola is just  :luv: :luv:

We have a working cocker. She is golden in colour and is 17 month old. We were new to dog ownership although we had dogs a long time ago, it is our first doggy together, we are smitten. I have to say cockers are the best thing EVER  :luv: :005:

Enjoy the forum, cant wait to hear all about Lola as she grows up, she is adorable. Its making me puppy broody for sure seeing all these lovely cocker pups   :005:

Offline Mrs Pepperpot

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
absolutely adorable!!  So much like my Pepper  :luv:

Offline Dan

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »
Hi and welcome Lola is just :luv: very pretty pup! My lil girl brodie was the second from last pup picked from the litter but has turned out to be a star

All the best

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 01:45:31 PM »
My solid liver working cocker is from a solid black mum and a liver roan dad and he had a white bib and paw tips as a baby.  The white paw tips grew out but he has a lovely liver roan bib still  :luv:  A lot of the solid working cockers have a white flash or bib, or white specks on their faces and paws.

Working cockers aren't usually bred for colour so that's why you get the mixes.  It may be the cost factor for KC registering that put them off doing it but if both parents were KC themselves and they're breeding and selling working stock then it is surprising they didn't.  I don't know the reason so I'm just guessing there.

Sounds like you are getting to grips with a small bitey puppy - this too will pass  :lol2: ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »
Wow Lola is such a cutie!  :luv:
We are picking up Rolo, our chocolate working cocker on 1st June. He is nearly solid in colour but has a tiny white flash on his chest and a barely noticeable one on his chin. He will be 9 1/2 weeks when we get him so hopefully he would have learned a bit more from his sisters after spending longer with them!
I guess colouring can change slightly as they get older as well!
Looking forward to seeing more pics of Lola and updates!
Caz :)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »
=. He is nearly solid in colour but has a tiny white flash on his chest and a barely noticeable one on his chin.

He's classed as solid  ;)  the little white chins are also common, especially with those that have a white flash or white anywhere else  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 02:09:46 PM »
Ahh ok thanks helen. Do you think the one on his chin will fade away as he gets bigger? His sisters have a lot more white on their chests. He is def the most solid in colour! :)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 03:26:21 PM »
Ahh ok thanks helen. Do you think the one on his chin will fade away as he gets bigger? His sisters have a lot more white on their chests. He is def the most solid in colour! :)

nope the chin one stays! Jarv still has his at nearly 7 (so it will probably go grey soon  :-\ :luv: )  One year we had a little white chin thread, maybe we should start another one with all the new chins on the board  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 03:57:18 PM »

nope the chin one stays! Jarv still has his at nearly 7 (so it will probably go grey soon  :-\ :luv: )  One year we had a little white chin thread, maybe we should start another one with all the new chins on the board  :lol2:

He he yes definately - i love it! Should be able to get some good pics when he comes home next week!  :D

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 07:16:18 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL.. What a little  :angel: you have, definitely butter wouldn't melt ;)

Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x