Author Topic: Hello from naughty Lola !!  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Rob an Nik

Re: Hello from naughty Lola !!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »
Thanks for the kind words  :blink:

A cute but very mischievous cocker !!

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 08:56:31 PM »
Welcome to COL, Lola is just  :luv:
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline rubytuesday007

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 11:02:43 PM »
Hate to break it to you but mischief is par the course with a cocker pup! But I don't believe for one minute that that angelic looking cutie could be anything other than lovely! She is so adorable :luv: welcome to COL it becomes addictive but is full of lots of helpful people and advise and a few giggles

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 11:28:05 PM »
Hello, what a cutie.
Bella was our first dog too she's a gold/red working cocker she had White tips to her paws which grew out, she still has a white chin and some White to her chest. We have loved having bella that much we got Molly whose now one a liver working cocker, she still has white tip to one of her paws, White chin and White chest

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 08:39:54 AM »
Welcome Rob, Nik and Lola! She looks absolutely  :luv: :luv: :luv:

I'm Di and I have an elderly springer, Jonny, and Penny the show-type cocker who is one year old. My last cocker was a little worker. Let's say I just love spaniels, like everyone else on here! Yes, there are definitely different character traits in a cocker compared to a springer and I'm sure you'll have fun finding out what they are  :shades:

Having a puppy is definitely a shock when you've got used to an adult dog, and you need lots of energy and commitment, but what you put in now really pays off in the future, so enjoy the challenge. I believe there is a school of thought that says that pups bond with humans particularly well at around 7 weeks so maybe that's the thinking behind some breeders letting them go at that age. It might also explain Lola's extreme separation anxiety. It's best to start with really short periods of separation while giving her something really nice to occupy her. Do you have a crate for her? A crate saved the furniture in my kitchen from further destruction after my previous puppy also suffered separation anxiety. The crate solved the problem as she seemed to feel secure and safe in it, so we crated Penny from the outset.

Looking forward to lots of piccies and stories about your wee girlie!

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Clare B

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 12:17:33 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL Lola looks very norty  :luv: only in the way sweet cockers can be .  Enjoy she looks delightful.

Offline montsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »
Love the whiskers!

Offline betty pops

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 05:02:53 PM »
hello  :D Im new here too.Lola is lovely shes such a cutie  :luv:

Offline Rob an Nik

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 11:55:49 AM »
Hi thanks for all the kind words and encouragement  :blink:

Lola has come on leaps and bounds in the last few weeks !!

She has more than doubled in size which is a bit of a shock !!

The seperation anxiety is improving all the time and she doesnt mind being crated whilst we do housework and cooking etc  :P She is like velcro to me or Nicky and will follow us all over the house !! we have to be very careful not to tread on her paws  :o

Obedience training is going well and the sit, stay, paw and down are now almost solid. We are working on the recall all the time and its good unless she is playing in the garden when she suddenly develops selective hearing  :lol2:

Play biting is now minimal and gentle apart from the "mad 5 minutes"

She loved puppy class and and played really gently with the tiny pups and the big boisterous ones too which was good  :blink:

All in all we are really happy with her progress  :blink:

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 12:02:42 PM »
That's great to read! sounds like you have a smart cookie on your hands there!

Look forward to more updates, and more pictures  :shades:

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline jack_morris

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
Hi we are Rob and Nicola and our 10 week old puppy Lola

She looks very cute in the pics below but dont let looks decieve you !! she is a terror  :lol2:

We got her when she was just 7 weeks as she was the 2nd but last to go from the litter. Not ideal we know but he ho

She is from working pedigree stock but not KC registered, I believe due to the fact that she has a flash of blue roan on her chest, nose and paws. we are not bothered by that as she is a family dog and we have no intentions of litters !!

Anyway hello from us all and we will no doubt be posting some questions up on the main board, quizzing you experts on some of the more challenging aspects of owning a cocker spaniel !!

Our previous pup was a springer and he was quite different in a lot of ways !!

Regards

Rob

Hello Rob and Nik

Lola is gorgeous!! I am going through the same as you have been through with our show cocker called Jack who is 7 weeks old!!

Steve

Offline Rob an Nik

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »
Good luck Steve !!

We were at our wits end a few weeks ago but all of a sudden things are improving at a rapid rate of knots  :blink:

Willfull and stubborn are 2 words that I have used frequently to describe Lola since we got her  :lol2:

I found Billy our springer more or less wanted to please all the time when training and only needed minimal treats, whereas Lola will only do what she wants and when she wants !! and the treats have to be used liberally to keep her concentration !!

Offline jack_morris

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »
Good luck Steve !!

We were at our wits end a few weeks ago but all of a sudden things are improving at a rapid rate of knots  :blink:

Willfull and stubborn are 2 words that I have used frequently to describe Lola since we got her  :lol2:

I found Billy our springer more or less wanted to please all the time when training and only needed minimal treats, whereas Lola will only do what she wants and when she wants !! and the treats have to be used liberally to keep her concentration !!

Thanks! How is Lola sleeping at night? The second night Jack whined for a bit and now we go to bed at 11. He then sleeps all the way through and when we wake up between 6 and 7 he wakes up.

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »
Hi and welcome Lola is just gorguss.  I have Charlie a 13y/o Black working cocker who also has a white bib and a white chin.  I am hooked on cockers for life now as we all are.  Yes they can be challenging but oh so much character.
Cathy   
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »
Someone told me when we got our first working cocker that as a rule, cockers take more training than springers because they are more stubborn and willful but also slower to mature and there's not much point in any 'serious' training before six months and don't expect too much too soon. Compared to a springer and say, a collie, or a lab, I'd say that was true, but they still seem to be very willing so long as there's good treats!

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011