Author Topic: oscar pet feeds  (Read 535 times)

Offline VickyG

• Holly & Henry - Double trouble!!
oscar pet feeds
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:44:25 AM »
Hi folks,

we feed both Holly and Henry on Royal Canine and have done since they were both pupsters but Henry is rather rotund at the moment (he is about 16.5kg and we want him to be about 14kg or less).  I've changed their training treats from gravy bones and the like to raw cauli and broccoli which they both love and have tried Henry on the light version of Royal Canine but he didn't like it.  I met a man in a petrol station last week in his Oscar pet foods van (he was filling up with petrol next to me so I started talking to him as you do  ;)).

http://www.oscars.co.uk/

He gave me some info on Oscars dog food and I have said I'll give it a go, he will come out to our house and assess the dogs and recommend a dog food for them and apparently it is cheaper than Royal Canine.  It has got no horrible additives and so seems like a decent food.

Has anybody used this food?  any good? any comments?

cocker spaniels make everything ok

Offline Sherlock

Re: oscar pet feeds
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 03:48:36 PM »
Not used this food, but it looks quite low meat content compared to maize and beat pulp and other fillers. Mind you, I don't know what Royal Canin is like, probably no higher!

Offline john51

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:22:30 AM »
I've got to agree with Sherlock. This is really low in meat and the "lite" version is very low in protein as well. As the chicken content (for instance) is not specified as meal, it is must be specified as fresh chicken. When you take the water out it means that the resulting proportion of chicken in the dried food is much less than 20%. There is an enormous proportion of wheat which can cause problems if there are gluten allergies and is not really a great basis for a dog food. The inclusion of unspecified "poultry" fat is a bad sign as is the beet pulp filler. There is much better dog food out there.

I'm sold on the theory of dog nutrition as put forward by Orijen (http://files.championpetfoods.com/ORIJEN_White_Paper.pdf), although we don't actually feed Orijen at the moment. We are also trying to take a kg or so off Lennie, but I don't believe that these foods with high cereal content is the way to go.

Good luck with Henry's weight problem.
Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »
My mum is having the same issue with her little porker Jay. He was on Royal Canin and the vet suggested Hills but he put more weight on with that  >:(
Mum has now put him on the lite version of Applaws
http://www.applaws.co.uk/dog_dry.php
He loves it and is doing really well. It's only been an few weeks but he is already looking loads trimmer and has more energy and bounce on his walks. He also seems to stay full and doesn't pester her for treats in the evenings which he did on the RC and Hills (she kept giving in hence the rotund waistline   :shades: )