Author Topic: Depressed dog...or just growing up  (Read 949 times)

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
Depressed dog...or just growing up
« on: July 11, 2012, 02:12:20 PM »
I know that everyone says that when dogs get to about 2 they settle down but I am worried about Roxy our working cocker. She was 2 in May and for the last few weeks has seemed very subdued. She still enjoys her walks and is eating fine but around the house she seems very quiet. She is still very 'waggy' when I go into the house but then after that she seems to spend a lot of time under the coffee table sleeping. She doesn't really come to us for cuddles anymore.  Bobby (my 10 month worker) snapped at her a few weeks ago over a bone and, maybe I'm imagining it, but ever since then she has been different.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences?
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline debbiedaywalker

Re: Depressed dog...or just growing up
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:18:10 PM »
Has she been spayed?  My girl was really depressed and subdued when she had her season....

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:24:41 PM »
I understand how you feel. Cass is a show type but extremely energetic (not as much as a worker though ) She just seems to live for her walks and spends most of her time at home sleeping. I have often said I wonder if we give her a good enough life.... should we have another (my H says NO) to keep her company, not that she is left much at all.She is not really interested in toys at home  Strangely though, each evening she goads my H into play fighting, she sounds so ferocious but NEVER bites.
At the moment she is asleep on a stair half way up !!
She knows when it is time for her walks and either bats my legs to draw attention or, if I am sitting down, puts her paws on my shoulders and licks my nose !!!!

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
Yes she was spayed about 9 months ago so I don't think it's that. I just look at her and she looks so unhappy poor darling - maybe I'm imagining it  :huh:

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:44:04 PM »
Perhaps it might be worth giving Roxy some one to one time....take her out for some walks without Bobby, play games etc.  :-\

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
Perhaps it might be worth giving Roxy some one to one time....take her out for some walks without Bobby, play games etc.  :-\

I was thinking the same. Perhaps the relationship between Roxy and 10 month old Bobby is going through some changes as Bobby becomes an adult. The changes might appear really subtle to us humans but be quite significant for the dogs.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 04:58:51 PM »

I was thinking the same. Perhaps the relationship between Roxy and 10 month old Bobby is going through some changes as Bobby becomes an adult. The changes might appear really subtle to us humans but be quite significant for the dogs.

Yes Elaine has explained it really well  :shades: :D
I know some peeps think this is a 'no no' but if you could equate their relationship to human siblings, it can be very tiresome for say a young teenager with an annoying younger brother.  :-\  I vaguely remember being a child (sooooo.... many years ago :005:) & one of my younger sisters was unbearable at times.  :'(

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 05:08:28 PM »
I have noticed this with Lottie lately and am trying to do a few things alone with her too  ph34r

Hope you get sorted  :D
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:41:55 PM »
I think you could be right - thanks for the advice. I will try to do that and see how she gets on. It's hard enough taking 2 dogs out together in this awful weather tho never mind taking them seperately especially with working full time too. Will have to see what I can work out  :D

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »
At times I've had this with wilf and ruby when I had particular fosters in - sometimes its worth taking a dog out separately and do some fun stuff (incl games and some training) with them). I also take Stella out separately sometimes as she's about 9/10 months old now and just need time to herself with me.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!