Author Topic: Pet health plan  (Read 696 times)

Offline TracyR

• Bella
Pet health plan
« on: August 14, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »
My vet offers this service basically you pay x amount a month dependent on size of dogs and this covers flea and working treatments boosters check ups etc, does anyone use a similar service and is it value for money?
Thanks
Tracy  :D
Bella's fave chew toy x

Offline LinziS

• Erin
Re: Pet health plan
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
Yes....Tilly is on a puppy health plan which covers all injections..worming..flea tx...monthy weigh ins if wanted...and her spay.This runs for 1 yr. By doing it this way I saved approx £60 than if I had payed for everything seperatly. Ask your vet for individual prices of all treatment he offers in the plan then see what you will save by doing it monthly. I just found it easier to budget as speying alone would have cost me £180.

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline TracyR

• Bella
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
Getting all the info on Thursday when we go to puppy playgroup it's appealing to me as I can just budget the monthly amount and then not have to worry about it!!
Bella's fave chew toy x

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 06:21:06 PM »
Getting all the info on Thursday when we go to puppy playgroup it's appealing to me as I can just budget the monthly amount and then not have to worry about it!!

That was exactly my reasoning with doing it...it just makes things more managable financially for the first year especially as I have both girls pet insurance on top. I put a small amount away every month for my older girl whch covers all her booster injections and flea/worming treatments and also any excess if we ever have to make a claim on the insurance. Doggies are not cheap thats for sure...but worth every penny  :luv:

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »
Whether it is value for money probably varies from vet to vet and may also depend on whether your dog is insured.  We didn't take out the plan at our vets as it seeme quite expensive.  Flea and worming treatments can generally be bought online much cheaper than from the vet.  By taking two dogs for one vaccination appointment we get a 20% discount on the overall bill for that anyway.  At our vets monthly weigh-ins are free, the vet said I can just pop the dogs in any time.  The plan offers 10% off any treatment, but as we have insurance anyway, this is not really a selling point.

I think you will need to add up what is included in the plan and consider whether you would use everything to see if it is worth taking out.  For flea and worming treatment see websites like VetUK.

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »
Whether it is value for money probably varies from vet to vet and may also depend on whether your dog is insured.  We didn't take out the plan at our vets as it seeme quite expensive.  Flea and worming treatments can generally be bought online much cheaper than from the vet.  By taking two dogs for one vaccination appointment we get a 20% discount on the overall bill for that anyway.  At our vets monthly weigh-ins are free, the vet said I can just pop the dogs in any time.  The plan offers 10% off any treatment, but as we have insurance anyway, this is not really a selling point.

I think you will need to add up what is included in the plan and consider whether you would use everything to see if it is worth taking out.  For flea and worming treatment see websites like VetUK.

You are so right in what you say which is what I did....looked at other similiar plans and really was not worth doing...the biggest factor for me was the spey cost and her injections and microchip....these things I would have had to pay a vet regardless...the way I looked at it was that effectively i got her worming and flea treatments for the year free.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »
My vet started doing this last year - I looked into it but it wasn't worth doing for us. It all depends on what the plan covers and how much of it you would use which would determine if it was good value for you.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
My vet started doing this last year - I looked into it but it wasn't worth doing for us. It all depends on what the plan covers and how much of it you would use which would determine if it was good value for you.

Our vets have just started this
and on checking it out felt the same as Jay.