Author Topic: best dry food  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Ali101

• Isla
Re: best dry food
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »
Isla is now nearly 8 months and as we had got to the end of her puppy food, which was Arden Grange, we decided to go ahead and feed her the adult that we feed our 2 year old lab, with excellent results. Both girls are now on the salmon and brown rice and since Isla has been on the salmon and rice there have been no runny poo's and no wind, which on the puppy chicken AG we did have an occasional runny poo and lots of wind.... ph34r
I have looked long and hard at food but we continue to stick with AG salmon because it suits both girls very well. If I were to change I would stick to the fish option of any given brand as it has given the best resilts (we have used lamb and chicken AG). We notice it in particular with our black lab as she has no dandruff and her coat shines so much. With a chocolate roan you don't notice the shine quite so much, but Isla's coat is very soft and silky amd she seems to love it....
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
Isla is now nearly 8 months and as we had got to the end of her puppy food, which was Arden Grange, we decided to go ahead and feed her the adult that we feed our 2 year old lab, with excellent results. Both girls are now on the salmon and brown rice and since Isla has been on the salmon and rice there have been no runny poo's and no wind, which on the puppy chicken AG we did have an occasional runny poo and lots of wind.... ph34r
I have looked long and hard at food but we continue to stick with AG salmon because it suits both girls very well. If I were to change I would stick to the fish option of any given brand as it has given the best resilts (we have used lamb and chicken AG). We notice it in particular with our black lab as she has no dandruff and her coat shines so much. With a chocolate roan you don't notice the shine quite so much, but Isla's coat is very soft and silky amd she seems to love it....

Can I ask please, do the fish varieties make the dog smell 'fishy'?

Offline only1cliff

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 01:38:58 PM »
Weve used Arden Grange for about 4 years but changed about 6 months ago to fish 4 dogs. I think the dogs coats have improved and one of our dog kept getting bad anal glands but since the change we have had no problems.
We dont find they smell fishy at all

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »
No, definitely no "fishy" smell, even the biscuits don't smell too fishy either.
Which 'Fish4dogs' do you use, and were you using the salmon and.rice or the white fish and potato? We have looked at "Fish4dogs" as for some reason Arden Grange have reduced bag size to 12kg.
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline only1cliff

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 04:43:05 PM »
We fed chicken and rice, arden grange. Now we feed the working dog Fish4dogs.

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 05:02:15 PM »
Thanks 'only1cliff', I have just been looking at that one, only thing is both my girls are doing well on salmon AG, but the 'Fish4dogs' is a higher fish content... :huh:
Must admit, I wasn't impressed by the AG puppy/junior, which was chicken, as Isla did have a lot of very smelly wind and at least one poo a day was a definite 'Mr Whippy' poo, and more poo than I would have liked. Since she has been on the salmon tho' she has been so much better, no wind at all and ALL poo's firm and less of them.
Still wondering about the Fish4dogs tho, might have to do a bit more homework... ;)

Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »
Gracie is on ProPlan.  She was on it with the breeder, so we didn't change her.  She seems to enjoy it.   :luv:

Kol was on pro plan with the breeder and we have keep him on that and he loves his food even though he has stop eating his lunch.

Offline only1cliff

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »
Thanks 'only1cliff', I have just been looking at that one, only thing is both my girls are doing well on salmon AG, but the 'Fish4dogs' is a higher fish content... :huh:
Must admit, I wasn't impressed by the AG puppy/junior, which was chicken, as Isla did have a lot of very smelly wind and at least one poo a day was a definite 'Mr Whippy' poo, and more poo than I would have liked. Since she has been on the salmon tho' she has been so much better, no wind at all and ALL poo's firm and less of them.
Still wondering about the Fish4dogs tho, might have to do a bit more homework... ;)

I think if they are doing well on it, keep them on it. We only changed after being recommended it with one of our dog having bad anal glands.
It was also a added bonus that we get it at the breeder pack price, so it works out cheeper than Arden Grange for us.

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »
I know what you mean, "if it aint broke, don't fix it", but you wonder if there is a food out there that is even better... ;)
I know the fish4dogs has a higher fish content and that the carbs are grain free, so just thought it may be better... ..
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline SusieY

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 11:21:28 PM »
Gracie is on ProPlan.  She was on it with the breeder, so we didn't change her.  She seems to enjoy it.   :luv:

Kol was on pro plan with the breeder and we have keep him on that and he loves his food even though he has stop eating his lunch.

Same here.  Barney was on pro plan with the breeder so we kept him on it and then moved him onto the adult chicken & rice (he's 3 now).  He has dry biscuits in the morning then biscuits mixed with Burns meat in the evening.  I keep some of his morning ration to use as low value treats throughout the day and he loves them

Offline Gordon

• Sleepy days
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
The last 7 months we have been feeding kipling Hills Natures Best but now he seems to have gone off this and leaves his food.
He is only 9 months so still a pup, any recommendations on another good dry food?

BARKING HEADS, MASTERS, SKINNERS all good but mine is a working cocker ;)

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »
Since I moved my two onto Applaws, their poo's have been more regular, they have very wet black noses and lovely shiny coats. They also seem to love eating it too.

At the moment Dennis is still on puppy, so it will be a lot easier when they can both be on adult food.

Offline CherryT

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 04:55:59 PM »
Molly was on PetsatHome puppy food at the breeders but even she said it wasn't that good but had suited all the pups so she had stuck with it.  It gave Molly very smelly wind.  The vets in Penzance suggested Hills Science (apparently all vets like this one) but several people have said they think it is not that good, gives them too much of everything or something, so  I would like to change to Arden Grange or Fish4Dogs as I have heard very positive comments about both of these.  I've got a big bag of Hills Science to get through first and I know you are not meant to change too often but it is tempting to try different ones!  It will be interesting to see what the Henley vets  say when I take her there for next lot of worming etc.  She is a 2 vet girl!

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 08:15:45 PM »
James Wellbeloved suits my two although they're such gutsy gerties I think they'd eat any old rubbish  :005:, they both came to me on Royal Canin as puppies but they had the most awful smelling wind on it   ph34r.
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »

Thought I'd try my pup on some Fish 4 Dogs as a number of posts speak highly of their food. Rather than jump head first I purchased sample packs to see how she took to the food.
She was so excited when I poured the contents into her bowl and then an amazing thing happened, she picked out one piece at a time and placed it on the floor, I waited expecting her to start eating these pellets after a while. Not a chance, not even with a little bit of gravy, I ended up binning that batch >:D

Mel.