Author Topic: Cockers are difficult ?????  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Re: Cockers are difficult ?????
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »
I agree she "may" have meant high maintenance regarding the amount of grooming that is required.

Even though we had researched the breed and time and time again we read how much coat care was needed,i still wasn't quite prepared for just how much.Especially in winter time.....sigh  ph34r

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 11:02:40 PM »
Give me cockers any day.......I love 'em.....high maintenance or not.

I have never owned a different breed, admittedly......but now I couldn't.  I am smitten. Xx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Clare B

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 03:31:38 AM »
Yes, I hadn't really thought that they may mean the coat, but that could well be the case.  I know quite a few westies, and my MIL used to have one, the ones I know/have known were/are all quite self contained little plodders (unlike a lot of terriers), so very different from a cocker. And as some say the cocker enthusiasm and velcro-like behaviour would be too much for some, although I still think if you've experienced the love of a cocker then it would be difficult to choose a different breed .... but that's just my opinion.
Actually when we were talking of getting a dog my husband suggested a westie because his parents had had one, and although she was cute the appeal wasn't there for me as I'd grown up with cockers and to be honest I wanted a more doggie-active breed for my family, along with all those cuddles.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 08:03:08 AM »
I think they are high maintenance with their coats needing grooming and clipping or stripping and also their personality means they like the company of their people , i know some people who walk their dogs and then they go in the kitchen in their beds and out in the garden and thats it, i coulld never do that with my dogs and nor would i want to , i love the fact that they are the way they are but i guess that they arent for people who prefer to have a more independant type of breed
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 08:42:49 AM »
People are individuals and some prefer different breeds of dogs.  I'm sure those that love Westies have a different understanding of them, the same as Cocker Spaniel lovers have of their breed   ;)

There are forums for Westie lovers..and I'm sure they share the same passion for their breed  :shades:

(oh and some of the noisiest dogs I have met have been show cockers  :lol2:)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Clare B

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 09:44:19 AM »
People are individuals and some prefer different breeds of dogs.  I'm sure those that love Westies have a different understanding of them, the same as Cocker Spaniel lovers have of their breed   ;)

There are forums for Westie lovers..and I'm sure they share the same passion for their breed  :shades:

Tis true xx

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »

Oh yes, I've got a noisy girl here - she just loves the sound of her own voice!

As far as high maintainance goes, I'd agree, but that's why I like having a cocker. Penny and I both enjoy grooming sessions and it's lovely to have such a responsive dog, even if the barking response is not always desirable!

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline mollydubh

• The beautiful Molly Dubh
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 10:21:29 AM »
I totally agree with "ebony girl" i have a delightful female show cocker with the most beautiful temperment, she is in fact a "velcro" dog and is especially good around children, i also compete in competitive agility and she is really good (tho i've been known to not be so good!!) and hope to compete in rally obedience for the winter months, yes your right about the grooming but its like anything else once you get into the habbit of it a good groom once per week is sufficient.
i strive to be person that my dog thinks i am.....

Offline Theo

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 12:51:08 PM »
Whenever anyone see's me with Theo (hes 13 weeks) they always say i bet youve got you hands full! and make remarks as if he should be hard work and stuff, but hes the easiest puppy we have ever had, he does love playing and going for walks and stuff, but i think every dog should get that sort of care, i suppose they are kind of high maintenence but i think they are brilliant, they are so clever and rewarding, they are deffinately worth it!

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »
I love my high maintenance (groomed every day and clipped and striped every 5 weeks) and very vocal cockers  :005: :005:
They are the right breed for me, everyone prefers different breeds, its cockers all the way for me  :luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline Clare B

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 01:14:47 PM »
I guess that's the thing, the interactive quirky personality, their goofy intelligence, their beauty, their cuddles....work for us but not for all.  Having grown up with cockers I just thought all dogs needed as much attention......it's possible I could be a little detached with a less "needy" breed.....might forget they're there  :shades:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 06:00:58 PM »
The lady may just have had a particularly difficult cocker and now assumes that they are all like that. And depending on the breeds they were compared with (probably westie in this case) a cocker would indeed be higher maintenance. Most of us like the busy and inquisitive nature of cockers hence why we have them, but not everyone does... after all, many of them do end up in rescue so many people are obviously expecting a less demanding character in their cocker and then can't cope when they show normal cocker behaviour.

Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 06:04:04 PM »
When I was wrestling with Riley who had a corn cob in his mouth the other week , a man came out his house to help me.  :005:
He commented that as he was a cocker that he wouldnt calm down till he was about 5.
He said springers are easier but cockers , well I had my hands full.   :005:
Would I swap for a toy dog that goes in my bag.... Not a chance I love the extrovert, enthusiastic, positive, exciteable cocker I have.

Offline montsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 06:10:02 PM »
A dog show judge last week commented that as Milo was a Cocker he wouldn't calm down until he was 15!! He was actually behaving himself at the time, too! Well, he's the second one I've had - it didn't put me off!

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 11:46:29 PM »
We were first introduced to the joy of cocker spaniels some eighteen months ago.
Compared to our previous dogs Milly's high maintenance as far as grooming goes and she's always one step behind (or in front of) you, getting into everything, trying to help (or hinder) with every little thing and sometimes giving vocal support as well.
Not a dog that you can take up or put down at will, she's there every minute of the day......And it's wonderful. :luv: :luv: :luv:

Mind you, she may think that we're "high maintenance" hoomans. :shades: :005: