Author Topic: Sniffing  (Read 346 times)

Offline mitzy ditzy

Sniffing
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:12:54 PM »
Struggling with a reliable recall as all bobby wants to do in the park is sniff. He is completely deaf when sniffing and no treat can lure him away from a scent.  Recall is reliable in home, garden and is also good in the park when playing with another dog.  I have started the tops barks training but worry about getting this to work in the park.  Recalls not reliable but i don't feel that he is in any danger would hate for him never to be off lead. He looks so happy sniffing and he loves going in bushes but feel a bit of Wally talking to bushes in the park

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Re: Sniffing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »
I have started on the Top Barks recall and is working really well. I use cheese as a treat and thats the only time Rosie gets it.
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline jessandme

Re: Sniffing
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:56:36 PM »
Would really recommend Top Barks' whistle training for recall.  It takes some work, but it is fun at the same time, and very effective.  You do need a really high value treat that is only used for this - for Jess it is tiny pieces of cheese, she never has this at any other time.

We walk her over the fields and she disappears off into the woods but comes zooming back like a little rocket when she hears the whistle.

Don't let Bobby off the long line until you would bet your mortgage on him coming back - the thing is not to let them fail.