Author Topic: When is a pup Sexualy mature?  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Woefa

When is a pup Sexualy mature?
« on: April 02, 2010, 07:17:34 AM »
My girl is 8 months old now and she is always in the company of my male, 9months.
I don't want her to get pregnant untill she's atleast 2 years old and both of them have gone for a medical test to ensure they don't have hip-displacia or any other possible ginetic disease.
Now the question is, at what age will she be sexually mature and what can I do to prevent her from sitting with teanage pregnancy

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
Re: When is a pup Sexualy mature?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:10:56 AM »
Im no expert but would say at 8 and 9 months, that they could be making pups

its great that you are wanting to get them both tested etc before considering pups, as far as stoping a pregancy, I would suggest that you would have to ship the bitch off to a friend or familys house whilst she is in season, as it only takes a few moments for them to have done the deed, its also not fair from a stress point of both dogs as the male will be driven wild normaly by the smell and the bitch will be trying to lure him or get away i imagine too

im no expert, but hope you find the right solution quickly

out of interest what made you decide to become a breeder ?

Phil

Offline Woefa

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »
8months? But she's not even fully grown, I would gues she's about 2/3rds fully grown!
Thanks for the info!
I don't really want to become a breader, but I've heard that a bitch must atleast have one litter before she's fixed.
How do I know that she has gone into heat?
Something to do with motherly instincts etc.
I will also only let her have one litter if I knew all the pups will go to a good home.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:20:04 PM »

It is an old wives tale that you should allow the bitch to have one litter before they are spayed... there are huge risks involved in breeding, the proper (DNA) health checks are fairly pricey, and a litter of puppies requires a lifetime commitment....

This article (at the top of this board) outlines all the things to consider when looking at breeding...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=3428.0

This thread should give you some hints on how to notice if your bitch is coming into season....

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=44072.0
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »
My girl had her first season at 7 months so anytime from now, are you keeping any eye out for her season? 

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 01:12:51 PM »

I don't really want to become a breader, but I've heard that a bitch must atleast have one litter before she's fixed.

As Karma has said that is not the case. When done properly breeding dogs is very hard work, very expensive and very time consuming and it's definitely not necessary to let a bitch have a litter before she's spayed. At 8 months old your bitch could potentially come into season at any time and she'll have to be kept separate from your dog throughout this which can be very difficult, they can be very determined to get to each other and it can be very stressful for them (and for you) so sending one of them away to stay with a friend or relative is usually the best option (perhaps the dog as it'll be easier for you to keep the bitch at home so you can keep an eye on her). As you have a dog and a bitch I would strongly recommend you have one or both of them neutered, if your bitch comes into season she can be spayed 3 months after it has finished and then you won't need to worry about seasons, keeping your dogs apart etc. in the future.

Also you can't have had your dogs hip scored yet as this can't be done until they're at least one year old under the BVA hip scoring scheme. DNA testing for PRA and FN (essential for anyone considering breeding Cockers) can be done at any age but hip scoring is only done once the dog is over 12 months and the hips are properly formed.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 06:15:48 PM »
8months? But she's not even fully grown, I would gues she's about 2/3rds fully grown!
Thanks for the info!
How do I know that she has gone into heat?
Something to do with motherly instincts etc.
I will also only let her have one litter if I knew all the pups will go to a good home.

please don't do this for these reasons - this is why there are so many pups in rescue - its an old wives tale to suggest they should have one litter and the reason why over 11,000 healthy dogs are put to sleep in the UK every year let alone lots going through rescue
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Woefa

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 06:53:21 AM »
In that case I will have them both spayed!  :lol2:

Offline sarahbe

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 07:30:03 AM »
My Charlie accidentally fathered a liter at 7 months! Before I got him though.

Offline Woefa

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 08:15:01 AM »
Both of them are going in on Monday moring to be neuterd and spayed!

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
Both of them are going in on Monday moring to be neuterd and spayed!

Great  :D - best wishes for a speedie recovery  :luv:  :D :luv:

Offline Woefa

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 09:02:42 PM »
I had them both neutered and they are rovering nicely.
I had a nice chat to the vet, he recomend that a the pups are neutered between 6-8months, before the bitch goes into heat, cause then her womb is still small, the recovery is quicker and the operation is a little simpler.
Also, it reduces the chances of cancer at a later stage.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »

Glad to hear they are recovering well!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020