Author Topic: Raw feeding hygeine  (Read 857 times)

Offline Cam1

Raw feeding hygeine
« on: July 28, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »
I have been interested in raw feeding for ages and have taken a tentative step feeding trimmed chicken thighs to Pepper (4) and Phyllis (11 weeks) today which they ate with gusto. My concern was though as that as the bones were in contact with paws and feet ( particularly the puppy) I felt obliged to wash the dogs afterwards . Does everyone do this or am I being over zealous? It is the whole hygiene thing of having raw meat that has put me off raw feeding in the past. Sorry if this has been dealt with before but I am new to the boards and couldn't find anything when I did a search. Thanks

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Raw feeding hygeine
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 02:11:27 PM »
I've been a raw feeder for almost 4 years and most of the food that mine eat is in the form of minces with bone in, or meaty chunks, or minces without bone. The hygiene precautions for that are the same as I'd use when handling raw meat before cooking it for human consumption. The minces are well packaged and stored in one drawer of the freezer that isn't used for anything else apart from dog food (although that's maybe a bit OTT on my part). Once thawed out they're stored in plastic cartons on the bottom shelf of the fridge and aren't in direct contact with any other food.

I buy liver, kidney, heart and raw chicken from the supermarket and when I chop it up I just use the same chopping board and knives that I do for meat for me and OH and then disinfect and wash the board and knives.  The dog bowls are washed separately from any items used by humans and I use kitchen roll to wash and dry them rather than a cloth that would be re-used. I use a disinfectant spray on the kitchen counter after preparing the dog's meals the same as I would after prepping raw meat for me.

If the dogs have a large chunk of meat such as a whole heart, or if they have bony meals like chicken wings or backs they eat them outside on the patio and I disinfect the area afterwards. I choose not to give them large recreational bones that they could chew and then leave for a while as I don't want to have raw bones scattered in the garden and risk encouraging flies or rats.

I don't wipe their paws afterwards, but I would if their paws looked greasy or dirty. Usually the dogs lick their paws afterwards anyway. I've never liked being licked by the dogs, but if one of them licks my face or hands I don't worry too much about it.

Incidentally, there's evidence around to suggest that kibble carries a salmonella risk too and that people should wash their hands after handling kibble or dog treats. I read an article recently stating that in the USA they're thinking of spraying kibble with some kind of chemical before it's bagged up to decrease the chances of people contracting salmonella :P

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 02:37:24 PM »
I treat it as I would any meat I would eat and handle. All the meat I buy in the form of minces with and without bone, chicken wings, turkey necks etc is human grade. I have a separate freezer(cheapest I could find about £99 as I couldn't get it all in my other feezer) for storing the bulk, the thawed I keep on lower shelf of fridge in plastic lidded container, I use old NI tubs, as that is what I bought initially. I now use MVM which comes as plastic covered sausages.I cut it up when thawed enough to portion up and store with plastic still on it. That way the thawed bloody water stays in the tub.

I too worried initially about their feet and ears, but then if you think what they walk in and trail their ears in when on a walk I gave up worrying about it. They tend to take chicken wings etc to their beds so when they've finished I spray with antibac spray such as dettol or diluted disinfectant. You can always put a snood on their ears though, I sometimes use the cut off tops of a pair of tights as they are quick to wash and dry or chuck.

I do find I get through more soap in the kitchen though  ;)
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Cam1

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:25:55 PM »
Thank you so much for both of your detailed replies. I find it reassuring that you have had no problems with hygeine following normal raw meat handling principles.( I think I may still be tempted to give my puppy a wipe over.) The idea of using cut down tights for covering their ears is brilliant. I think I will try some pre prepared raw foods and see how I and they get on before I prepare much of my own but I notice that you are both not serving big bones and I suppose that does make it easier to be contained.
Very interesting about kibble being possibly contaminated and the idea that it may be sprayed with a chemical to prevent salmanella quite horrible. Many thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 09:29:31 PM »
I must admit I don't take any extra precautions other than washing my hands and cleaning work surfaces and floor where raw meat has been. As for ends of ears, Logan dipped one of his in my cup of tea the other day and I still decided to drink it regardless, being the dirty mare I am. I'm still alive! I have 4 dogs, all raw fed and I've been raw feeding almost 11 yrs now without any problems.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Cam1

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 07:58:30 AM »
Thank you bluegirl that made me laugh! Lovely cocker ears do end up everywhere ! I do think possibly we have become a bit hygeine obsessed so will try and relax a little. I will give raw feeding a try at least one of the meals ( we have holidays coming so will try to keep some of their normal food on the go too). I really want to give my girls the best I can for their health.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:23:07 AM »
Henry has been on raw since last October and I have never had a problem regarding hygiene.  Obviously, you take common sense precautions as you would with any raw food. 

Raw dog food has to comply with DEFRA regulations the same as human food.  Most of Henry's food is human food: fresh liver, kidneys, and frozen chicken breasts, so there is no problem with having it in the freezer in the kitchen.  I also have a small chest freezer in the garage where I keep his blocks of minced chicken.  When thawed I keep it in plastic food boxes at the bottom of the fridge.  I have separate boxes for his liver and chicken breasts which are also kept at the bottom of the fridge.