Author Topic: 9 month old Rocky is bored of Royal Canin  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Lesley M

9 month old Rocky is bored of Royal Canin
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:26:06 PM »
I have been feeding Rocky my 9 month old cocker on Royal Canin since I got him home at 9 weeks on recommendation of the breeder. Over the past few weeks he has definitely got bored with just the biscuits so I have started to sprinkle the dried food with tuna pieces, cooked breast of chicken or scrambled eggs which he has thoroughly enjoyed with no reaction.  I'm not sure now if I should change from Royal Canin completely and just buy something like chappie biscuits which are much cheaper and increase the tastier food.. Nervous as I don't want to upset my little man. Any suggestions where I can read up on what to do next?

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
Re: 9 month old Rocky is bored of Royal Canin
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »
This is such a difficult one.  Been there so many times.

Hope that someone with greater expertise than mine will be along to offer some help.

:luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Sharpie

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »
I don't know the answer, but hopefully someone will..! :)

I have the same with Daisy, now 8 months- she is on ProPlan original puppy kibble & doesn't seem that enthusiastic about it unless she is really hungry...I took to adding a tiny bit (about a fifth) of a pedigree puppy pouch to each meal to give her something a bit different (but no way convert completely), and she does like that..I mix the jelly in with the kibble and it does the trick...I didn't want to switch to anything else at this stage as I know she needs all the nutrients in her kibble..

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:04:07 PM »
Lottie has never been keen on just kibble, so I add in a bit of wet food (Wainwrights or NatureDiet - bought a tin of Lily's Kitchen to try yesterday as well) - I substitute about a third of her kibble for a third of a tray , estimating she would be on about a tray a day if it was purely wet food.  Works a treat for her...

;)

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 01:26:33 PM »
Bracken was fussy when we first brought him home so I added a bit of wet meat to the kibble and he wolfed it down,over the months he has become food oriented and I managed to phase out the wet food and just have kibble alone, with no problems, since this hot weather he is leaving half of his food which I,m putting it down the the heat!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »
Why not have a look at this website http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/

As well as having both expert and consumer reviews of loads of different foods (kibbles, wet foods and raw) there are also explanations about the types of ingredients used, which is really useful as pet food labelling can be very confusing (well I think it is). It should help with understanding exactly what's in the foods and which are the good and bad ingredients to look out for.

Offline rednblack

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 04:01:40 PM »
Prince was the same.  Came from the breeder on Royal Canin Puppy, but when he went down to 2 meals a day he decided he did not like RC breakfast, so since I was planning to change his diet anyway, I started him on half a tray of Nature Diet Puppy for breakfast.  He loved it, it's simple to feed, and he still finished his RC junior food for his dinners (after which I changed his diet as planned). 

Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline Sharpie

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »
Why not have a look at this website http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/

As well as having both expert and consumer reviews of loads of different foods (kibbles, wet foods and raw) there are also explanations about the types of ingredients used, which is really useful as pet food labelling can be very confusing (well I think it is). It should help with understanding exactly what's in the foods and which are the good and bad ingredients to look out for.

Gosh- that's interesting Elaine ! - I put Daisy's info in there and I didn't recognise any of the food brands on the first 2 or 3 pages that came up for her...! More research needed I think!

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »
Dennis came on Royal cannin, but didn't seem to enjoy it, we slowly moved him to Applaws Puppy and Minnie onto Applaws Adult and they have seemed to really enjoy it. It is 75%meat and 25% veg with no cereals, it also seems more moist than many of the other kibble, they have lovely coats, plenty of energy and really nice teeth. When Rosie came, we moved her straight onto the same food. Whenever our Granddogs come, they really love it too. I think its a case of find a good one that they are happy with and stick with it.

With this one, they only need a small amount each day and consequently their "output" is less :005:  

Offline helenb14

• Donator
  • Seve
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »
Would you be prepared to try a raw diet? It's not as scary as it sounds and there is info on this forum and a facebook raw feeders group. Seve is looking great on this, less poo glossy coat! Other than that I used to use skinners duck and rice, they will send you samples if you want to try it.

Offline Abbi

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
I agree with Helenb14 about considering a raw diet and definitely check out www.whichdogfood.co.uk as the ingredients in some of the kibbles leave a lot to be desired. It's no wonder our dogs stop eating them! I had this problem with Abbi when she was on James Wellbeloved and stopped eating it. Turned out it was all the grain in it that was upsetting her. She is now raw fed and never looked back. Too many advantages to mention and a very healthy, happy dog now!

Offline chrisnjulie

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 10:22:34 AM »
Have you tried a tablespoon of hot water on the kibble ? Not to soften it but to kind of activate the aroma of the food ....there is a complete difference of smell when you do this .....let it cool and try it .
We changed from RC to James Wellbeloved as there are lots of different flavours BUT you cant just swap flavours to give them a change OH NO ! You have to gradually introduce a new flavour as you would with a new food !! They are on turkey and rice JWB and when they sniff it and walk away I know its time for the hot water trick and it gets them back on track .
Julie , Chris , Sadie the Clumber Spaniel ,Henry the cocker and Brody the cocker
                     x x x

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 01:18:59 PM »
How about eden?  80 % meat/fish and 20% fruit /vet.
Riley is thriving on eden, has a lovely glossy soft coat and also quite minimum output.
It smells so nice for a kibble too, really meaty. Sure it tastes it  :005:

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 01:21:27 PM »
Charlie has never eaten kibble (he did apparently before I got him). However, numerous trials have been conducted  :005: and the only kibble he'll eat is Applaws. He is raw fed, but loves a bit of applaws once in a while.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »
Charlie has never eaten kibble (he did apparently before I got him). However, numerous trials have been conducted  :005: and the only kibble he'll eat is Applaws. He is raw fed, but loves a bit of applaws once in a while.

Ahh but has Sir Charlie tried Eden..... hehe :005: