Author Topic: growling at hubby!  (Read 479 times)

Offline purdyrose

growling at hubby!
« on: October 19, 2009, 06:01:14 PM »
Hi all,
Haven't been on here for ages as all going well with my little Rosie. She has turn't out a little darling and I'm so lucky to have her.
Just to digress a little-she, at last, eats very well and does actually clear her bowl now after all the trials to get her to eat. She is still only small but she's a happy little thing.
She is now 18 months old - very obedient, collects a brings my slippers and his socks, one at a time and is very loving and quiet and  very good & still makes us laugh but.........
She has taken it upon herself to growl quite nastily at OH for no reason (or so we think).
He always gets up & lets her out in the morning, she sits on his lap for a cuddle in the morning before I get up and they have toast together. When we eat, at the table or on settee, she has her head on his knee just in case he drops something (I've always said not to feed her but he takes no notice!! - he thinks it's cute), which he often does. She follows him around and sits with him as well.
The problem lies in once I'm up - if we kiss & cuddle- she creates with screaching and jumping between us. Yes, she's jealous I know but she has now started to growl quite nastily at him if I'm nearby. Her tail is wagging and he strokes her nicely and speaks softly but she's doing it more often now. She has never growled at me & lets me do anything to her.
I have told her 'no' and to be nice but not sure if I should say anything but I'm so afraid she will bite one day as she is warning him about something.
He said that if she 'went for him' then she would have to be put down as she should never bite her owner so of course, it causes rows.
She is such a loving dog, cuddles like a baby and can't get near enough to me when we cuddle but if he walks in the room, she jumps off and growls and moans.
I mentioned the noises she makes with my breeder and she said, she's just speaking (moaning) but |I'm not too sure.
I know that if I discourage her to growl - she could just bite but not sure how to deal with it at the mo....any advice would be appreciated
Leigh

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
Re: growling at hubby!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 06:07:31 PM »
When Rosie is growling at your hubby and he strokes her and soothes her he is actually reinforcing her growling behaviour. Eric used to growl at my OH when he came into the room and i solved this by each time OH came in I would stand up (ignoring Eric who would normally be on my knee at the time) and greet him whilst we both completely ignored Eric. Then we would all sit down like nothing had happened. I found this method very effective and Eric got the idea very quickly so it's defnitely worth a try.
Good luck  ;)

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: growling at hubby!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 06:24:35 PM »
We sometimes look after my mums dog who guards  people (always females usually from males) and when he first came here my poor OH would get growled at for entering a room if I was already in there.

What we did is first of all I banned Guiness sitting next to me as this was a big trigger point and made one chair no dogs allowed and sat there if we were both home. Guiness is also really clingy with females so I made sure I did very little with him. I also wouldnt let him be with me all the time or have run of the house.

If he started to guard me from my OH I would get up and leave the room while OH stayed where he was, he couldnt guard me if I wasnt there  ;)

At the same time OH would hand feed him and did the majority of his walks. We kept treats by the front door ( OH coming into the house was another big trigger) so that when I knew OH was due home I would leave the room and when he came in he would hand feed Guiness and we built it up so once he associated OH coming home with food I could be in the room too.

We were very very calm around guiness and never ever confrontational with him nor did we try to reassure, touch or stroke him when he was guarding but we did have to teach him that guarding got no attention and the results of trying it were that I would walk away from him.

Its very difficult to give advice over the internet without seeing a behaviour ourselves and the best thing would be to see a vet to check for physical problems and then a qualified behaviourist.