Author Topic: Show cocker - possibility of training them to work ?  (Read 5651 times)

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
Show cocker - possibility of training them to work ?
« on: February 01, 2007, 06:13:03 PM »
Hope I've put this in the right place.  Has anyone any experience of training a show cocker to work (ie flushing, retrieving on shoots) ? Thanks

Willow and Katie

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Show cocker - possibility of training them to work ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 07:07:24 PM »
Certainly! I showed Crackers for two years before starting her on birds. There are several people here in the US that put both bench  and field championships on their dogs.

It's a huge leg up if the dog is "birdy"--very interested in birds--and/or a natural retriever to begin with. (I did have one dog who had no aptitude for it whatsoever, she'd circle wide and cautiously around a dead bird, she seemed to be saying "Eew, dead thing, watch your step" :005:

You might want to check out this thread too  :http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=24903.0

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 07:18:56 PM »
I know Katina works her show cockers ;) and they do brilliantly well in the field and in the show ring.

it's certainly not unknown - cockers are gundogs anyway, but does help (as spanielcrazy says) if the dog has a natural 'bird' tendancy.

helen & jarvis x

Offline Black Angel's

• Site Member
  • Muffin
    • http://www.blackmajestys.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 07:22:22 PM »
In our country-Croatia we must have working test if we want them to become a champions.And of course it's possible to work with show cocker,but not at the same time(because of coat)
Black Majesty-english cocker spaniel & grand basset griffon vendeen kennel

-> www.blackmajestys.com -<

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 07:31:03 PM »
In our country-Croatia we must have working test if we want them to become a champions.And of course it's possible to work with show cocker,but not at the same time(because of coat)

Oh yes, forgot to add, you might want to get rid of all that coat before going out in the field! >:( :005:

I always did kind of like that idea of having a working test as a requirement of championship.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 07:34:28 PM »

so this is what you do with your cockers Black Angel?  Would love to see pics of them doing their working test :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Black Angel's

• Site Member
  • Muffin
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 08:17:45 PM »
O,they're first for showing but we have to do working test when it's time for it...
unfortunately I don't have pics with ducks or something like that,only where they're swimming...

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 08:54:24 PM »
Thanks for your replies(the thread was interesting too).  Given me something to think about. 

Willow and Katie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 09:00:57 PM »
O,they're first for showing but we have to do working test when it's time for it...
unfortunately I don't have pics with ducks or something like that,only where they're swimming...

sorry black angel, i'm a bit clueless about this and find it really interesting.  Have i got it straight that they are shown throughout their lives but have to at some stage pass a working test? 

helen & jarvis x

Offline Black Angel's

• Site Member
  • Muffin
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 09:09:02 PM »
that's right!

but it's necessary to start practising when they're puppies... ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 09:49:59 PM »
that's right!

but it's necessary to start practising when they're puppies... ;)

i bet it is!  I'm also pretty sure my adult working cocker wouldn't be able to pass the test...yet ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 09:00:12 AM »

In Finland we have the same rule, you need to pass a working test in order to become a champion.

But, with the coat part, I disagree strongly. When the coat quality is right, you don't need to worry at all. Just have to add a photo here. On 2nd of september 2006 my Emma was at a goosehunt for the whole day. This is her on the 3rd of september, winning best bitch with CC.

All my dogs have full coats, they are both shown and worked. And I think they are brilliant hunting dogs(and most of my hunting friends seem to think so too, as they constantly want to "borrow" one of my dogs  :005:).
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 11:27:47 AM »
But, with the coat part, I disagree strongly. When the coat quality is right, you don't need to worry at all. Just have to add a photo here. On 2nd of september 2006 my Emma was at a goosehunt for the whole day. This is her on the 3rd of september, winning best bitch with CC.

All my dogs have full coats, they are both shown and worked. And I think they are brilliant hunting dogs(and most of my hunting friends seem to think so too, as they constantly want to "borrow" one of my dogs  :005:).

ooohh wow Katina . What a clever and beautiful your Emma is  :luv:

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 12:26:24 PM »
WOW! Katina.

Very impressed, not only with your dogs and their all-round ability, but with you too. Do you have time for anything else at all in your life???? Your dogs always look perfect.

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 02:00:40 PM »
My OH is a keeper and has his own working cocker Dash, but my guys help in the summer with 'dogging in'. We walk round the boundry of his beat and push the birds back in off the boundary. They love it, but they are not trained to the gun or anything, so I wouldn't take them on an actual shoot. However I think they would've been ok had they been trained

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.