Author Topic: What now?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline turbobert

What now?
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:04:26 PM »
I have a working cocker pup (14 months).  He went to puppy classes with me and has all the basics - he learned them very easily.  I joined the Gun Dog Club and had a 'taster' session with a local trainer.   My chap was really good and I was told he would sail through Grade 1 - and only needs more off lead heel training to do Grade 2.  The classes are IMO expensive though and I dont want to shoot or indeed beat (too old).  My chap definitely needs to do something though as he just loves learning things.  What do people advise?

My puppy class person does agility but the classes are about 10 in number and the dogs are at all stages so progress would be slow.  The gundog trainer is against treats and is much more demanding.  He told me that the group of six in his classes are of greatly varying abilities and he has to train them separately ie only 10 mins per dog - 8 weeks £160!

Sorry I am rambling but ideas would be welcome!

Offline turbobert

Re: What now?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 03:07:14 PM »
Oh I should add - I am in the North East of England

Offline mcphee

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »
Hello. I have started using a gun dog trainer late, because of Rufus's recall when hunting issues. We do agility and he is good, but Cruella, the new trainer feels that a bright fit dog soon realises what agility is about, and is not stimulating enough for some dogs. Cruella has so improved recall that for the first time we are enjoying walks in beautiful places. It is expensive for individual lessons, and her methods are very different from previous trainers. Unfortunately she is poorly at present, so I have not had an individual or group lesson with her for a while. I think I will ask her advice on what I can do to work on steadiness, but still giving him exercise and stimulation. Others will have views on field trials. and other competitive work.

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »
I think you would get more for your money having one to one lessons with a gundog trainer. There are sites that advertise trainers in differant locations, go for one that is experienced with cockers.
Milly

Offline turbobert

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 08:58:54 AM »
Thanks - the Gun dog club however only advertises classes and only one trainer in my area.  What other sites are there please?

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:54:09 AM »
I go to a gundog trainer of my choice and just book hte gundog club tests when the dog is ready. Luckily I know one of the gindog club assessors and she has always been willing to assess my dogs at a convenient time. Trying to get a weekend assessing session sorted for early dec, so if any one is interested let me know (will be juts of the A1 at leeming bar N Yorks)
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 10:17:18 AM »
I go to a gundog trainer of my choice and just book hte gundog club tests when the dog is ready. Luckily I know one of the gindog club assessors and she has always been willing to assess my dogs at a convenient time. Trying to get a weekend assessing session sorted for early dec, so if any one is interested let me know (will be juts of the A1 at leeming bar N Yorks)

Sorry for the hijack but which grade(s) Pauline? Rodaidh passed grades 1 and 2 when he was 11 months old and he's now 2 and a half and I never got round to organising an assessment for grade 3 for him even though he was ready for it shortly after he did the first 2 :005:  he's done a few other working tests since then but the GC tests are fun and he enjoyed doing them. Caoimhe will also probably be up to giving the grade 1 test a shot by then.

Turbobert, have a look on the NOBS website as well as the GC, they should be able to point you in the direction of a few trainers.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 11:30:14 AM »
Hi Nicola

Probably mainly grades 1 and 2, but we may be able to sneak some 3s in as well as long as I can find a natural obstacle for them to jump over (like a ditch). Doubt my older spanish will be ready for her grade 3 by them (she was harshly trained before i got her and is very sensitive) but am I hoping that the other one will finally be ready for his grade 1.

There will be a mix of breeds, spanish, cockers, labs, etc as we're not restricting it to breeds. As soon as I find out if the assessor is available, I'll let you know the date.
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline turbobert

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »
Hi Nicola - NOBS website - what does NOBS stand for - ?National Obedience.... and Leeming Bar is only about 1 1/2 hours away so might be interested..please let me have info in due course..

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »
Hi Nicola - NOBS website - what does NOBS stand for - ?National Obedience.... and Leeming Bar is only about 1 1/2 hours away so might be interested..please let me have info in due course..

NOBS - National organisation of beaters & pickers up.
Milly

Offline turbobert

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 10:33:14 PM »
Thanks - but I am an old biddy - and beating and picking up sounds like hard work!