Author Topic: Is Gabby to small too work  (Read 2100 times)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

Is Gabby to small too work
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:15:01 PM »
Hi Gabby is six months old and is soo small she only weighs 8.5 kilos.Will she be too small to work.She flushed a cock pheasant the other day and it was bigger than her  :lol2: :lol2:.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Is Gabby to small too work
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
GEMMA is only 8,2 kg and will be 3 years old in march. she works every saturday with us during the season
 last year was her first year and she managed okay. this year though she is better, stronger in muscle although still small, skinny  and light. she can push through the thickest cover and bounce through the beet tops.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
She's still very young and has more growing to do yet. Is she a show or working Cocker?

My FTCh bitch isn't tall but she is well constructed, solid and muscular with a broad chest and strong head and muzzle. There's a photo on the 'one photo' thread of her retrieving a really huge cock pheasant, it was bigger than her but she carried it back -still alive and moving - over 300 yards of plough. They're not meant to be big dogs but should be sturdy and strong. Really small framed dogs, especially those with small, narrow muzzles may have difficulty retrieving large game, but they can still hunt/flush.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »
Your cockers main job is to flush game so size does not matter, you would be surprised how big a bird a cocker can retrieve they might not lift it and run but they are determined little beggers. I used to take Henry my show cocker goose shooting he managed to retrieve every goose shot although if we were shooting from the high bank he would walk up backwards dragging the goose.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:58:59 PM »
Thanks she is a little madam,sorry I mean working cocker  :005: :005: :luv:.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 11:46:54 PM »
She's still very young and has more growing to do yet. Is she a show or working Cocker?

My FTCh bitch isn't tall but she is well constructed, solid and muscular with a broad chest and strong head and muzzle. There's a photo on the 'one photo' thread of her retrieving a really huge cock pheasant, it was bigger than her but she carried it back -still alive and moving - over 300 yards of plough. They're not meant to be big dogs but should be sturdy and strong. Really small framed dogs, especially those with small, narrow muzzles may have difficulty retrieving large game, but they can still hunt/flush.

That's not a pheasant in that photo Nicola its an escaped xmas dinner  :005:
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 09:45:31 AM »

That's not a pheasant in that photo Nicola its an escaped xmas dinner  :005:

:lol2: I have to admit I did think that that one would make a heck of a lot of casserole as I handed it in to the game wagon!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/