Author Topic: So far, so good .....  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Mel B

So far, so good .....
« on: December 28, 2013, 02:55:02 PM »
Well it was early 2012 when I started my search for another working cocker. After doing lots of research, visiting different kennels and speaking to lots of knowledgeable people (including Nicola from this forum) I got Florence in August 2012, bred by Tom Skelly who had used FTCH timsgarry valtos on his bitch Izzy. To say she's not been the easiest dog to live with is an understatement. She is such a live wire, lightening fast and very cheeky. That said, she has always been incredibly exciting to train, with such a zest for life and no fear! So this season I have gradually introduced her to shoot days. I've had her out three times on three different shoots. Only 40 odd bird days so perfect introduction for her. I couldn't be more pleased with her. In the main she has worked really close to me and as you can imagine she's loved every minute! I've had some lovely compliments about her and couldn't be happier! As I've had to 'retire' my other cocker as he 'does his own thing' I've certainly learnt from that! So that will be it for Florence this season as I'm getting her spayed on Monday. Then it will be training with Tom during spring/summer so that hopefully she will be ready for beating every week next season! So thank you Nicola as you played a part in me getting my little black dynamo!! X

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: So far, so good .....
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 05:28:40 PM »
Aw that's lovely to read Mel, I'm so pleased she's getting on so well :D  Can't believe that it was a year and a half ago though :o where does the time go. Caoimhe will never be described as an easy dog - she's nearly 5 now and still does everything at a million mph and 'calm' doesn't feature in her vocabulary - but as I told you before if you can cope with them and give them what they need you'd struggle to find more focused, trainable, fun (cheeky!) and kind-natured dogs than Simon's Timsgarry line and Caoimhe is very typical. Florence sounds fantastic, definitely my kind of dog :luv: I put Caoimhe to Valtos in 2012 and they were a top-quality litter, working and trialling here and abroad.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Mel B

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:15:19 PM »
I know, where has the time gone! It certainly has been a challenge at times as our other cocker is so laid back in the house and I wasn't totally prepared for the whirlwind that is Florence! She was always going to be a "dual purpose dog" (to quote Simon Tyers when I explained she would be a pet and a beating dog), but she is definitely better at the latter! Saying that we do now have some cuddle times where she is literally around my neck! To sum up I can live with the "busyness" in the house cos watching her work is just the best 😍. Cockers doing what they are bred to do! Are you regularly working Caoimhe now that she had finished trialling. People must live watching her as it seem rare to have a FTCH on the local shoot! I would be in my element watching a dog trained to that level.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:15:54 PM »
Yes I have Caoimhe out beating and picking up once or twice a week now as well as Rodaidh - I don't think he's delighted to be sharing the limelight though :lol2: We could be out more often but unfortunately work gets in the way. I've also been doing a fair bit of roughshooting with her all year though. She is hard work on a big driven shoot; she's so fast and has been trained for the trialling - flush, shot, instant retrieve - chain of events so she makes me work hard to keep up with her and keep on top of her :shades: She is amazing to watch, she's the typical temperamental genius, she'll push and test me to the limit then pull off something so absolutely brilliant she leaves me speechless. She performs the most spectacular retrieves that really belie her small size; she misses nothing, remembers every mark and has an unerring ability to pick up and follow a line, and she's very flashy and eyecatching so she gets a fair bit of attention. Two deep gold/red Cockers stand out a bit amongst Springers and black Labs so we can't make any mistakes :lol2: Our most regular shoot is Waddesdon Manor Estate which is owned by the Rothschild family, she picked up for Emmy Rothschild a couple of weeks ago and was much admired for being 'small but very efficient' :005: I have a few photos of her working that I must get round to posting at some stage. Would be great to see some of Florence too!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Mel B

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:43:28 PM »
Caoimhe sounds amazing! It must be great now that you can work her and I can imagine all the dog people on the shoots get nearly as much pleasure as you watching her. I'm in a fortunate position that Florence's breeder, Tom Skelly also trials his dogs (just made up his bitch Amber to FTCH in Oct) so I regularly see his fantastic dogs. Last time we trained, Florence was working in line next to one of his dogs so I was truly in my element! I will get around to getting some pics of her in action. You know what it's like, if I take my eye off the ball or lose concentration whilst taking pics she will be taking advantage of me 😳