Author Topic: Does anyone have an ideal weight chart for working cockers?  (Read 33373 times)

Offline Macie-Working-Cocker

• Donator
  • (No longer using this forum, too much negativity)
Does anyone have an ideal weight chart for working cockers?
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:06:51 AM »

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Does anyone have an ideal weight chart for working cockers?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »
http://www.puppyweights.com/breeds.html?i=81&age=19+weeks&w_pri=10.25&w_dec=0&units=kg&w_submit=Get+Adult+Size%2FWeight

http://www.powerscourt-cockers.co.uk/advice-pages/health-obesity-in-cocker-spaniels

Hope,these links help. Don,t get hung up on the weight though, Cockers come in all shapes and sizes. My Dylan is 16kg, a giant, but he is nice and slim. As long as your dog has a waist and you can feel his ribs, that's fine.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »
they come in all sizes just like people. my doctor , according to his chart tells me I am  much to fat.  :dunno:
Gemma is almost 6 years old and is just under 9kg and she is well covered in all the right places.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
. My Dylan is 16kg, a giant,
My Fred is a giant too then at 18.4kg, the vet laughs as according to his weight chart he is obese yet he actually thinks Fred could do with gaining some weight, unfortunately Kooki is a chunky monkey and currently on a diet as she is noticeably less conditioned at 14kg.
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
Had Blue at the vets this week for an unrelated reason and got ticked off because 'he's chunkier than I like to see a young dog'.  He weighs 14.95kgs and is 10 months old, so I imagine still growing, albeit slowly?  I said, 'he's got a waist though'.  Vet rather snootily responded with 'I think you're being a bit optimistic there!'
He looks perfect to me  :huh: 
He has a waist, his tummy is nicely tucked up, and he is compact in shape, stands square to the floor, but is very sturdy (in a muscular way), which I think is appropriate according to the breed standard?.  (He's a Show type, by the way.)
I certainly don't feel I overfeed him; 200g Natural instinct morning & night, a Bonio at bedtime, and minimal treats.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 12:28:38 PM »
My vet also said Humphrey was a bit overweight - he's 13,5 kgs, I can feel his ribs and there's no way he's got too much upholstery. In response to the growing amount of dogs who ARE overweight though, I think its just become a standard rally cry from many vets and doctors, before the patients even get through the door.
Keep an eye on the weight by all means but don't go down the road I went - I actually started a weight graph when Humph was a puppy which was pinned on the kitchen door - I used to weigh him every week and compare it to the graph I found on the internet  :doh:
I finally came to my senses when OH threatened to call in the men with the white coats!!  ;)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 01:54:35 PM »
Weight charts are pretty useless tbh as cockers can vary dramatically in size and build.

I have seen working cockers of 8 kg and 18 kg and both were perfect  ;)

If you want to ensure your dog is the right weight then you should be able to feel their ribs easily but not see them and they should have a clearly defined waist when viewed from above.  When your dog fits this description, then weigh her and, hey presto, that is her ideal weight!  :005:

At 9 months she still has a bit of growing and filling out to do, but it is better to go by how your own dog looks than any charts  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Macie-Working-Cocker

• Donator
  • (No longer using this forum, too much negativity)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »

Offline aquapure

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 02:54:59 PM »
Across the internet there seems to be ideal weight charts for all types of spaniel other than working cockers. My 9 month old bitch weighs 12.5kg and I'm just trying to gauge that she's at her ideal weight. Looking at her she seems in perfect condition. A weight chart would just be nice to compare.
If anyone has one I'd appreciate.
seems slightly on the high side ?!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 02:57:19 PM »
Across the internet there seems to be ideal weight charts for all types of spaniel other than working cockers. My 9 month old bitch weighs 12.5kg and I'm just trying to gauge that she's at her ideal weight. Looking at her she seems in perfect condition. A weight chart would just be nice to compare.
If anyone has one I'd appreciate.
seems slightly on the high side ?!

Not necessarily - depends on how big his frame is. :dunno:  As said above, workers can vary hugely in size and weight  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 03:13:40 PM »
Pups race to put weight on when they are little. Henry rocketed up to 12kg by 8 months, then more slowly up to the 14kg he is now. Stable since he was 12 months old.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 08:50:48 PM »
I have a very skinny but muscular 20kg wc. I don't think weight charts would be possible with such varying sizes.  Vet says he is very healthy although I can see his ribs.

Offline ips

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »
My two and half year old lost 1kg over the game season. Went to vet last week for booster and vet reckons she could lose another half kg. She is currently 11.6kg. She is fit and healthy and looks fine to me but a friend who is very knowledgeable also commented she was carrying a bit of weight. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say, I don't like the very skinny athletic look on man or beast 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 07:47:02 PM »
My beautiful girl is big and long and well muscled with a waist and a nice coating on the ribs . Weighs in somewhere between 18 and 19kg. Big for a girl but perfect.