Author Topic: any Rough Shooting in Lincs, South Yorkshire, Humberside area?  (Read 6179 times)

Offline flashpanther

• Site Member
Does anyone know of any any Rough Shooting in the Lincolnshire, South Yorkshire, Humberside area please?

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Re: any Rough Shooting in Lincs, South Yorkshire, Humberside area?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:59:49 AM »
you will need to have BASC insurance (or other insurance) plus experience before most farmers will allow you access to their land, once you can shoot safely, have insurance etc then you contact local farmers etc, you will not get rough shooting by advertising on the internet

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Cazzie

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:01:56 AM »
Does anyone know of any any Rough Shooting in the Lincolnshire, South Yorkshire, Humberside area please?

I think you are best to ask this question on a Field Sports forum unless you havnt already  ;)

Offline flashpanther

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 02:48:54 PM »
As to Rough shooting I am simply trying to find out if opportunities would exist to me for getting involved before I actually spend all that money on shooting lessons and a shotgun etc.

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 03:36:40 PM »
ask a local farmer then, but buy a shooting mag and you will see what you are up against, lots of experienced shots looking for rough shooting, vermin control etc

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline flashpanther

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 03:48:22 PM »
It does not seem very inviting for new members then. I would have thought the sport would die slowly if so. To have such enthusiasm in getting involved by trying out shooting to being told this is very disappointing indeed :'(

Just one question. If i did find a farmer would would let me shoot on his land (after becoming profficient in shooting and getting myself a license, shot gun and BASC membership), does he need a license or something to allow shooting on his land?

Cazzie

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 04:18:06 PM »
It does not seem very inviting for new members then. I would have thought the sport would die slowly if so. To have such enthusiasm in getting involved by trying out shooting to being told this is very disappointing indeed :'(

Just one question. If i did find a farmer would would let me shoot on his land (after becoming profficient in shooting and getting myself a license, shot gun and BASC membership), does he need a license or something to allow shooting on his land?

This is why we are telling you to join an appropriate club or society ,they will put you intouch with the correct people  ;)

Offline flashpanther

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 04:32:45 PM »
To join a club I ned to spend all that money involved eg the gun etc. I dont want to spend all that and find a club has no vacancies and shooting that I am after. Hence asking her about the question rather than paying money blind of if indeed opportunities to shoot exist in rough shooting (as said before).

Cazzie

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 04:38:20 PM »
To join a club I ned to spend all that money involved eg the gun etc. I dont want to spend all that and find a club has no vacancies and shooting that I am after. Hence asking her about the question rather than paying money blind of if indeed opportunities to shoot exist in rough shooting (as said before).

You dont have to spend any money, Join NOBs or The Sporting Countryside online or get in touch with your local Gamekeeper, they will be only too happy to welcome you along. Unfortunatlely you will have to start at the bottom like us all. You wont be able to just go out buy a gun and get someone to let you start shooting their ground, so if you become actively involved with a local shoot (Nobs or the sporting countryside will put you intouch with the closest people to you.  ;)

Offline flashpanther

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 04:45:39 PM »
Cazzie: Sound advice I have not come across on the subject yet!Thank you.

Offline flashpanther

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 04:58:04 PM »
If I did find a farmer willing to let me shoot on his land does the farmer need a license of something to allow me (or others)  to shoot on his land?

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 05:10:21 PM »
If I did find a farmer willing to let me shoot on his land does the farmer need a license of something to allow me (or others)  to shoot on his land?

no, he will employ you to take vermin off his land, pigeons etc, he will not let you shoot pheasants etc and most folk actually pay farmers to shoot their land, it is not inviting at all to rough shoot, those of us who rough shoot treasure the land and do alot for the farmers as a thank-you, as I said, check out shooting mags and see what you are up against when it comes to rough shooting, we have a chap who travels from Doncaster to shoot pigeons with us in Scotland as he has nowhere nearby that he can access.

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 05:11:59 PM »

shooting is not cheap, thats why people beat with their dogs as very few people have access to land that they can shoot over their dog. We spend a small fortune shooting, our previous piece of rough shooting was just over an hour from the house, petrol alone made it expensive

Offline flashpanther

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 05:22:34 PM »
Yeah i just dont want to spend a fortune on all that equiptment for nothing - hence the research as I repeat myself lol - to see if i would actually have opportunities to shoot. Wildfowling and pigeon shooting do look the most welcoming to start with If I got into it all.

Was just wondering now if farmers needed a game license or something to legally allow me to shoot on their land or if any farmer can let me without the need for them to have a license?. Really could do with knowing that as grandad has a very small kind of farm and I am sure I could have access to a few farmers contact details in the area to try asking for permission if I get involved in shooting.

You've been very helpful Cazzie. Thank you PS. money would be no object If opportunities exist. I would travel anywhere to start rough shooting like the person who lives near me in Doncaster :)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 06:41:07 PM »

PS. money would be no object If opportunities exist.

Lucky you!  :shades: :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/