Author Topic: Chasing pheasants  (Read 2111 times)

Offline MegsyMoo

Chasing pheasants
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:59:52 PM »
Our 2 year old Cocker has so much enthusiasm when shooting, her retrieve is brilliant and she would spend all day retrieving game. We are just having a big problem with her chasing pheasants. We are in a shoot syndicate and have to regularly check on a pheasant pen, if we leave Megan sat next to a feeder with pheasants all around her she is not interested in the birds and just wants to keep a check on where either one of us is. However on returning to her and walking her to heel she is then interested in hunting and chasing the birds. On walks if she picks up the scent of a pheasant, she is gone. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we prevent this happening.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Chasing pheasants
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »
Back to your yard work to train for range and distance control. You need to work on whistle commands, especially "stop" and "come" Even on formal shoots and trials, she can't be going off too far, she has to remain within the range of the guns. If necessary you shoud go all the way back to square one with recall training.

It's wonderful that she has a great attitude and loves to retrieve, she'll make a fine working dog, you just need to move her training up to the next level (which sometimes means going back a level at the same time) and start fine tuning  :shades:

http://spanieljournal.com/8mdeeley.html
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 04:37:25 PM »
Have you actually had her out on shoots? Has she been trained to hunt under control? What does she do when she flushes birds, does she chase them then? Is she trained to the stop whistle? I agree that you need to go right back to basics on her recall, stop and steadiness and she must never be allowed to run off after birds again, you have to stop her having the chance to do this at all costs. I would also never let a dog which is unsteady to flush have the retrieve as this is a reward for it.

How old was she when first introduced to live game? Did you do steadying work with her in the pheasant pens during her training? I can't say enough that it's vital that she no longer gets the opportunity to chase birds out of control or to run off on you because once this habit is ingrained it's very difficult to overcome and you cannot take a dog which chases birds out on a shoot, it's both disruptive and dangerous, most gamekeepers just wouldn't allow the dog there.

If it were me I would start working on her stop whistle and her recall in a variety of situations until both were rock solid. On normal walks she'd be on lead if there's any chance of her putting up birds because harsh as it is she can't be given any chance to take off and ignore you or you're back to square one - if she does get this chance and she takes off and ignores the stop or recall whistle (and they get ONE chance only to obey) then I'd be after her - chase her, catch her and bring her back to where she was when she ignored the whistle and you must do this every single time. The aim though is not to have to do this because she never gets the chance to bog off in the first place while you're working on her steadiness.

My two older dogs are fully trained and the furthest they get from me when hunting in a training/working situation is about 10-15 yards; for my 7 month old who is currently in training it's about 5-7 yards. There's no need for them to go any further when working unless I've sent them out for a retrieve.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline MegsyMoo

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:40:32 PM »
Thank you for both your comments and you've confirmed what I thought - it's a case of going back to basics. Would you keep her away from the pheasant pen until we have the recall and stop whistle under control? Her recall is good in most cases (except if she's put up a pheasant) and I've just started working on the stop whistle. Do you just use 1 long whistle and a hand/palm in the air for a stop? This is also our command for a sit, but do we use the same command for stop?  :blink:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 02:52:56 PM »
Have a look at this thread, it contains links to other threads about stop training:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=64125.0

You could try keeping her away from the phesant pens for a while to see if it helps, you said that she wasn't bothered about them in the pens so it may not make a difference. Only thing you can do is try it and see  :blink:

Unless you want her to sit every time you stop her, I prefer to keep separate commands/pips so there is no confusion for the dog as to what is meant.  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline MegsyMoo

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »
Thanks again for the help and the links to stop. We started basics this morning and Meg didn't do too badly. She stayed close and stopped pretty much first time - we did have the famous 'Cocker Shuffle' I've seen mentioned, but I've got some tips from the links to prevent it  :D