Author Topic: PIGEON SHOOTING/PICKING UP  (Read 1855 times)

Offline cockyjim

PIGEON SHOOTING/PICKING UP
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:53:06 PM »
Hi all,

my friend asked if I wanted to spend the day pigeon shooting with him, he asked me to bring my dog to do the picking up.
we have only ever worked in the beating line for pheasants.

I am worried that all he will do is bring back all the dead birds used as decoys.

does this happen?

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: PIGEON SHOOTING/PICKING UP
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
You don't say how much training he has had, so assuming he is ready for this I would say yes, it's a possibility as some dogs have problems initially picking up and carrying live or wounded birds. Some dogs also have a bit of a hard time going from one species of bird to another.

You should know where the decoys are so you just redirect him and get him hunting again. If he does retreive the decoy, just take it with praise and send him out again; you don't want to discourage retreiving at an early stage of training
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:54:03 PM »
Hi
You need a very patient dog for pigeon shooting as they have to sit in the hide
for hours watching the birds dropping in  and only go out when sent for the shot birds, an experienced dog gets to know not to retrieve the decoys. As the feathers of a pigeon are very loose your dog can end up with mouth full of feathers, which can be off putting. It's really up to you, only you know if you think that your dog will enjoy it. (personally I never did, and neither did my dogs, they quickly got bored)
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 05:09:49 PM »
I've tried pigeon shooting with both Rodaidh and Tilly and only Tilly really likes it, she's very patient and prefers picking up to hunting so it suits her ok. I did have to direct her away from the decoys though as she'll pick up anything and everything when she's in retrieving mode, I just told her to leave and sent her off again. Rodaidh on the other hand got bored and very fidgety as he wanted to be out flushing which isn't ideal so I've only tried it with him once although he didn't have a problem picking up the pigeons when I sent him out. I think it depends on the kind of dog you have really and you'll know your boy well enough to know what suits him.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cockyjim

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »
Thanks everyone.

He is defo patient enough.
He has only every retrieved pheasants and dummy's with rabbit skins on.

I am pretty sure he will bring back every decoy until he gets the right bird. (keen as a cocker)
I try to direct him but he's a cocker. he knows best and all the birds are over this way :005:

I'll let you know how he gets on.

thanks again

Offline millrace

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 08:30:02 PM »
and the funniest thing will be when they get a mouthfull of feathers and begin spitting them out cartoon style...i defie you not to laugh........ :D

tia,will only go for the decoys when she is bored although she will sit for ages waiting take your eye of and a decoy appears by your side......but usually straight out to the fresh dropped bird...reacting to the shot and marking the fall i guess...
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!

Offline Nick London

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 11:43:41 PM »
Hi

Any thoughts about how I can get my working cocker boy involved in these activities? He's only six months but I'd like to get him working evein in a limited way at some point.

Is this possible..?
Many thanks

Offline cockyjim

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 09:34:53 AM »
Well!

The wee man done not to bad.

he brought back a couple of decoys but for the most part he marked and retrieved very well.
feathers!! he did get a few in his mouth and in his ears! there was a comedy moment where he spat and tounged his mouth for ages  :005:

the bag wasnt to big too so he never got overworked for his first time which I was kinda glad for.

so thanks everyone am quite chuffed and glad he's not the only one to bring back decoys  >:(

NICK LONDON:- try the NOBS website do some beating make some friends and hopefully offers of the odd days shooting will come of it.

A dog at 6 months might needs a bit of work before it is unleashed on a shoot. especially if you want invited back. offer to beat without the dog to start. get a feel for the standard expected of you and a dog and then bring it out towards the end of the season when there are less birds to "waste" the pup.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 11:16:55 AM »
I'm glad you and your boy both enjoyed the pigeons, are you going to try it again with him?

NickLondon, I've put a post on your other thread on the puppies board suggesting you try some gundog training with your pup, I however would not take a pup or young dog out on a shoot until they are trained - none of the gamekeepers on the shoots I go to with my dogs would allow this anyway. Going out without the dog to get a feel for it yourself is a good idea though and you can also start to train your dog, you can do it yourself or find a professional gundog trainer or a gundog training club in your area.

Offline cockyjim

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »
Hi nicola,

yes we offered our picking up services again so my mate is going to let me know next time he's out.

here is hoping that its soon. plus pheasants are starting soon to so we'll be busy.
the dogs do need a job though otherwise they climb the walls  :lol2:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 12:31:14 PM »
sounds like he did really well  :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 12:32:24 PM »
Yeah I'm so glad the season is starting again now but not as glad as the dogs, they're raring to go :005: