Author Topic: Size Dummy?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
Size Dummy?
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »
Hey guys,

I was thinking about getting Marlee a proper dummy to train with. He has a "Prey Dummy" which is like a dummy that has a zipper and you can put food inside. But I was thinking trying him on a proper dummy, you know one of those green ones? I noticed they come in diff sizes. What would be the best size for a Cocker? What size do they use in Scurries etc?

Thanks!

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
Re: Size Dummy?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 01:02:31 PM »
Anyone?  ph34r

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 03:27:51 PM »
Standard size is about 3 X 12". Sometimes labeled medium or regular. Puppy or small dummies are good for starting a dog who is not really keen on retrieving  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 03:35:17 PM »
Thank You!  :D

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 03:42:58 PM »
Exuse my ignorance but what is a dummy?
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 04:22:53 PM »
Exuse my ignorance but what is a dummy?

It's a canvas sealed bag filled with sand....various sizes to replicate bird sizes from little bags about the size of your hand to some a couple of pounds to replicate ducks (bigger ones often used for Labs etc but some Cockers will retrieve big game too). They're very good as they hold scent well.  We also have larger ones which our trainer covers with rabbit skins and we also glue on pheasant wings....gets the boys really working and excited ;)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 12:31:20 AM »
The most popular size for adult working cockers is a 1lb canvase dummy but they are probably a bit big to start with.You could try the intermediate 3/4lb dummys which are about half the size and easier for your dog to handle,plus you can get a couple in your pocket when you go out for a walk. :D

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 07:38:11 AM »
Thank you
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 07:48:17 AM »
It depends on the dog really, what age and size they are and what they like or dislike. Some dogs actually dislike plain canvas dummies but have no problem with  rabbit skinned dummies or real game, others will pick up anything. I must have bought every dummy going at some point  :005:

My cockers better with the medium or large canvas dummies but if he has a choice he'll always choose a Docken Dummy. At group training we do a memory retrieve where various different dummies are thrown with the dogs watching, we then walk the dogs away and send them one by one to pick a dummy. I can gaurantee Paddy will look over all the dummies and pick the Docken Duck. Have a look around some sites selling gundog equipment and you'll see they come in lots of shapes and sizes. I bought some Pheasant & Partridge training dummies after reading an article in Sporting Shooter Magazine on the best colour for training dummies. They actually decided the best colour was.... Purple!! The second choice was a dummy with a contrast of dark and light colours so they do a black and white one. These are shaped a bit like rugby balls, they float and are supposed to replicate the weight of the birds. I change what dummy I give him now and again just for his amusement.
Milly