Author Topic: Beating  (Read 2448 times)

Offline SteveB

• Donator
Beating
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:51:41 PM »
Who on here actually go beating and where to
Lulu beats in cowbridge also have been invited to shoots in Builth and Hereford(next year for Tia as she is still a pup)
Could use this section to set up and help people that would like to start.
Andrea has arranged for two newbies to go with her this year. Could be fun for her both the dogs do ok on scurrying etc. One is a Springer the other is a Weinerarmer ( funny watching her trying to go where the spaniels go)

Offline seaangler

Re: Beating
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »
Who on here actually go beating and where to
Lulu beats in cowbridge also have been invited to shoots in Builth and Hereford(next year for Tia as she is still a pup)
Could use this section to set up and help people that would like to start.
Andrea has arranged for two newbies to go with her this year. Could be fun for her both the dogs do ok on scurrying etc. One is a Springer the other is a Weinerarmer ( funny watching her trying to go where the spaniels go)

I do belong to NOBs ...(Not picking up yet )..It is best to belong to a club for the insurence side of it..

They have a stand at western park next week (The great east midlands show) http://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/events/157/  Unfortunately we fly out to Egypt on the Friday the 16th and will miss the show >:(

At one of are beats one chap has a border collie as good as any other dog...And picks up to....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline redlottie

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »
Hi

Only just seen this post.  We take both of ours gundog training each weekend and they love it but we havent actually ever been out to put it into action.  Our trainer keeps saying that the older one is more than ready and would get a lot out of going beating now.  Having never done anything like this before though we wouldnt know where to start.  Any ideas?

Offline seaangler

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 03:30:06 PM »
Hi

Only just seen this post.  We take both of ours gundog training each weekend and they love it but we havent actually ever been out to put it into action.  Our trainer keeps saying that the older one is more than ready and would get a lot out of going beating now.  Having never done anything like this before though we wouldnt know where to start.  Any ideas?

For a D.I.Y job Find a road kill...Bird or rabbit(Not a messy  or stinky one :005:)I can normally fine no end going to the farm in the morning and the odd one that is to slow in taking off that gets in the way  ;)...Get a starting pistol..Call your dog ....place the bird or rabbit in the (lost) and send your dog..And see what happens :D

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline redlottie

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 03:33:09 PM »
Thanks SA

They have no problem with gun shot or in retrieving cold game as they do this frequently at the trainers albeit the little one takes some convincing he needs to bring it in to me.  It was more about finding out how we can go along and see what its all about in the 'real world' as at the moment we only know the training side.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »
Thanks SA

They have no problem with gun shot or in retrieving cold game as they do this frequently at the trainers albeit the little one takes some convincing he needs to bring it in to me.  It was more about finding out how we can go along and see what its all about in the 'real world' as at the moment we only know the training side.

You do have insurance liabilety..(Most inportent)...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline SteveB

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 04:08:02 PM »
Thanks SA

Where are you based ?

Offline redlottie

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 04:26:35 PM »
We are based in Tipton which is about 10 miles from Birmingham but Shropshire / Worcester area is fairly accessible to us

Offline SteveB

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 06:57:57 PM »
I know somebody in Leomister and he was looking for beaters last year. Would this be to far. Give me a couple of days and I will see what else is around.
You also have  the Midland game fair this weekend. You can try your new skills there on the scurry's. Also NOBS are there and they may be worth talking to for your area

Offline redlottie

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 08:17:26 PM »
Thanks steve

Unfortunately can't make the midlands fair as we are doing the great north run should be able to do the oct one though ... Leominster wouldn't be too bad as we wouldn't mind travelling as we are keen to see what its all about as much as observation than taking part maybe in the first instance

Offline SteveB

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »
Will give him a ring tomorrow and will pm you. Andrea went dogging in with him last year. That would probably be the better way to find out if you enjoy it. Andrea just said that she would go the same time as you dogging in. if he is up for it, as long as you dont mind crazy Lulu coming as well (she cant be that crazy though as he wanted the pair of them back for beating but it was a bit far).

Offline SteveB

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
Thanks steve

Unfortunately can't make the midlands fair as we are doing the great north run should be able to do the oct one though ... Leominster wouldn't be too bad as we wouldn't mind travelling as we are keen to see what its all about as much as observation than taking part maybe in the first instance
How does a week Sunday sound,  Andrea will be there and possibly 2 other first timers. Just to do some dogging in and see how the dog/dogs go