Author Topic: Question about Working  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
Question about Working
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »

A lad my OH knows has a young working cocker.  Apparently he is teaching the dog to work, but not to go on a shoot or anything.  The dog will do his own hunting and be trained to bring the birds back.  He is starting him off on wood pigeons.  He says this is how cockers used to work.  Is this true and if so, does anyone on COL do this?

Am just interested.  Have to say Alfie would probably have been good at this  ph34r , not that he's going to start.  On the couple of occasions he's caught a wood pigeon in the garden he's brought them back to me dead and unmarked.  Have to admit I've passed them on  ph34r to my neighbour as her husband goes rough shooting and she wacks everything into a pie.  :-\

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
Re: Question about Working
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 09:21:58 PM »
must admit, most trainers I know would use phessies first not pigeons as pigeon feathers come out eaisly, leaving the poor dog with  amouthful of feather.
didn't think cockers were originally used for pigeons, though they were used for other game birds including woodcock
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:03:56 PM »
I agree with the above, pigeon feathers in the mouth can put a lot of young dogs off retrieving.
And how is a dog supposed to hunt wood pigeons? or is that just to teach a retrieve?

This sounds more like rough shooting where the dogs work the hedge or cover and put the birds/rabbits out to be shot at.I have been rough shooting with Cockers and Jack Russells

I always imagined that Cockers were used on large shoots originally
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
Cockers were originally used for woodcock shooting. 'Cocking dogs I think is where the name originates from

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:55:02 PM »
Most of us Yanks start our dogs on pigeon, they are smaller and less intimidating than pheasant and less likely to put the dog off (not to mention very readily available, so the dog can be worked frequently on live birds) Then when they show birdiness, a good retrieve and return, they are "grauduated" to pheasant.

Nothing like a still live, fighting pheasant to scare a dog off permanently  :-\
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:50:51 PM »
Pheasants are usually the first bird to train your cocker on grouse is also another good bird to teach your dog to bring back etc but you have to be lucky enough to get a grouse day!!!