Author Topic: The pulling has stopped  (Read 898 times)

Offline Hamad

The pulling has stopped
« on: December 12, 2014, 11:13:43 AM »
I purchased the Walk Your Dog With Love harness to help with Bertie's pulling and it worked briefly but noticed that he still pulls whenever he wants to retrieve objects around him (and that would be all the time  :-\). I also tried Victoria Stilwell's method but it didn't help because he does walk properly indoors however the distractions were too strong for him once we're outside and no amount of calling or delicious treats helped. I then came across this post by Top Barks in an old thread:

In my opinion there is only one way to stop a dog pulling and that is to be stubborn enough to say sorry pal but you aren't pulling me anywhere and not move forward with a tight lead.
Shock horror your dog might not get the walk you think it needs but it will learn if you spend time to train it.
My three walk real nice on their own but when i walk all three Bayley and Doug need reminding from time to time about what I expect.
I go nowhere with a tight lead.
Remember as well it can be quite difficult for dogs to walk at human pace as there normal pace is somewhat quicker than ours.
Think about that when you're out with your dog pulling you along and you put it down to naughtiness.

I tried this by standing still whenever he pulled and walk the other direction if he continues, I've never seen him become so frustrated before and the pulling only got worse after he realised he's no longer getting what he wants so we were hardly ever moving and people passing by were very entertained  :embarassed: I'm glad I carried on though, after following the same routine during our walks for 2 days consistently he finally stopped. It's been a few days now and he's still walking with a loose lead   :angel:

Since this has worked very well for me I thought it would be worth it to repost Top Barks' post along with my experience and thank him for it :)

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Re: The pulling has stopped
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:44:24 PM »
I am hitting the LIKE button well done
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Koslg

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 09:35:55 PM »
Wow. Well done. Like :D

Offline JackieT

• Ziggy - working cocker
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 09:54:12 PM »
That's fantastic. You must be really pleased.

We keep trying the not moving thing, but not strictly enough. I think we just need to absolutely stick to our guns and see it through.

Offline loobymiss

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »
I started trying the standing still and all Amber did was just sit down and wait for me to catch her up!  If I called her to my side she ran at me and jumped up.  I end up changing direction each time and getting nowhere fast!  What am I doing wrong?

Offline Hamad

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »
Thanks everyone, even though he does revert to pulling a little whenever he spots a plastic cup or a sparkling bottle on the ground it's still very easy to get him back on track and I keep reminding myself that he's still a puppy.

Loobymiss, Bertie did the same thing and jumped way too much, it was difficult but I had to remain persistent without eye contact till he stops and it worked once he realised there's no other way. Some of the things I tried was shortening the lead which he did not easily accept, then whenever he sits ahead I call and pull him gently to try and sit next to me then praise and try walking again. I also switched him back to a regular collar instead cause it's easier for me to use but no idea if that affected his walk.