Author Topic: Diazepam and ACP  (Read 777 times)

Offline Archiesmum

Diazepam and ACP
« on: December 22, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
Hi I have written on here before bout my Archie's barking issues

Well he has now started lunging at cars and people when on lead but only when in our road and only WGEN on lead.

Well it's all really really bad now. Some neighbours have brought two Labrador to stay and they exercise them by throwing ball on bit grass behind my fence. One of them barks whole time- Archie hears it and won't stop also. I have no choice due to neighbours other than go out and stand with them til the bloke goes in ( or I walk around I mean I don't just randomly stand next to this stranger)

So a new vet trying to find yet another behaviourist. Tonight he gave Archie 10 mg diazepam and 20 mg ACP

I have now read all these dreadful things bout these drugs and wonder if I should have given to him?

Two hours later he awake ( whereas he normally sleeps now) he can hardly stand

If I give this tomorrow obviously he can't go for proper walk ( we go out for two hours twice a day) so is there any point?

We can be sat quiet like this and most evenings he will just fly off sofa and tail up hackles up bark for bout ten min solid. I have a quiz show on repeat all day long as only thing he won't bark at. I can't put radio on he don't like kids or women's high voices can't watch tv.

He is walking round now best he can all strange. It's so sad watching him. Is this the answer?

I don't know what I should do WGEN he barks at people coming down road? So I sit with curtains pulled all day

I try ignoring barking as it said at first but that didn't work

I try distracting with toy. He so hyped up nothing will stop him

I try waiting til quiet then clicking and treating. That don't work

Says get him sit he so hyper hus bum hits floor split second later he is up then down then up all time whining hysterically and barking

What should I do. He looks so sad on these pills

Should I just give one or the other tomorrow or forget them?
Pls help us

Offline Archiesmum

Re: Diazepam and ACP
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »
He is now staring at wall barking but it's a more subdued bark. I can't stand a lot more of this. He would sleep more than this on a normal night. He is all fidgety and weird.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »
I'm so sorry,  you do sound at your wits end with Archies behaviour.
I don't know about the drugs Archie has been prescribed but maybe you can take a little comfort from our experience with Beau  that things can change.
At around 18 months to 2 years old he turned unpredictably nasty, bites coming out of nowhere, aggressively guarding anything and everything, always worse in the evenings. We tried everything we could with no improvement, until we were seriously looking at rehoming as we couldn't trust him near our grand children.  As a last resort and after much researching on the internet we decided to try him on a course of a calming/sleeping supplements for human use.  We noticed a distinct improvement after a couple of weeks, he was much calmer, the biting stopped and the guarding behaviour much reduced in ferocity. We still carried on with all the conventional training we could as I'm sure this also helped. He has been a different dog, no side effects, just more relaxed and friendly and we can now even leave him alone for the evening with no barking or accidents.
Several months ago we stopped his medication and after a week he snapped again so he's back on it and back to his new normal again.
I haven't mentioned this on the forum before as its very much a personal decision that happens to work for us, but your distress is clear and I just want to reassure you that things can change but you will probably need to give medications time to work properly and continue to look for professional help.

Offline Archiesmum

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »
Can you tell me the name oh the pills you used pls? I have p m you but I don't know what email I used so I'm worried I won't get your reply!

Offline tenaille

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 11:30:58 PM »
replied to your pm