Author Topic: Grazing too much  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Grazing too much
« on: June 01, 2019, 04:02:08 PM »
Like many cocker sheep, Laurië loves eating grass. I've always let her do it, but lately she has started eating so much that it gets stuck on the way out. Not to get too graphic, but I have had to assist her in order to get rid of the grass...  :005: This is obviously an inconvenience, but mainly I worry about it getting stuck further up in the intestines. So I now have to limit her grass eating, and I feel so mean. She gives me the saddest look and I literally have to pull her away while she desperately tries to get one last mouthfull  :lol2: It's embarrasing on walks, I feel like I have to tell people she gets food at home so they don't think I starve her. Please tell me there are other cocker sheep out there that don't know their limit?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Grazing too much
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »
Oh yes, Humphrey eats grass now and again - there seem to be so many theories as to why they do it from lack of nutrients, to indigestion, forthcoming thunderstorms etc etc but quite honestly I don‘t believe any of them. My last dog used to eat it and then wretch for about 5 minutes before throwing it all up (usually on the carpet! >:D).
I know what you mean about it coming out at the other end  :shades:, some of the grass is quite sharp and I‘m always a bit worried about causing injury.
(Our lawn mower has just packed in this afternoon - maybe we should have a cocker- sheep party!!) :005:

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »
Maddie tries to eat a lot of grass, Bramble less so. It seems to be worse late spring/early summer after that they are not so bad. Maybe it becomes tough and chewy!
Bramble has however, started having a chew at newly growing plants every time she's in the garden. Hosta leaves grow flat tipped thanks to her.  I  know they are poisonous so barricade them in! Verbena is another favourite. It's become  a worse habit each spring  >:D
I've also removed extruding grass!  :o
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 06:15:16 PM »
My late Gran in law used to say that a dog ate crass because their tummy was off.

Ollie does eat grass now and again too, and yes I attempt to stop him as he will be sick shortly after...........he is in my bad books at the moment - just dashed to the Spar only in two minutes and he had swiped the back of Trebor mints, rips them up and just leaves them......cocker monster >:(
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 07:02:00 PM »
I knew I'd feel better hearing about your cockers being as silly as mine! Thinking they are herbivores :D I've told her a million times that she can't digest cellulose, but does she listen? I've heard all the theories too, but I think many animals just like the taste. Laurië is very particular about what type of grass she eats. She doesn't eat lawn grass, so no luck getting help maintaining the garden, sorry  ;) She only eats from the clusters of tall grass that pops up along the side of the road and around the outside of the garden. She started eating moss and dirt last year too. I started thinking about nutritional deficiencies when she did that. But she is on a veterinary diet and she gets extra supplements as well. She always gets vegetables with her dinner, and very often a piece of meat or fish too, pretty much a taste of whatever we eat (minus the spices). I think she probably eats better than me and you don't see me grazing like a cow. Not in public anyway :005:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 07:17:49 PM »
 >:D

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 01:37:49 PM »
I do not top my dog from grass eating , as I have to assume she is doing it for a reason, , yes I have the same butt problem at the other end sometimes, but most healthy dogs will eat only a small amount, if your dog is so bad I would recommend a check up at the vet, he/she may be suffering from IBS or other stomache intestinal problem, some people say don't let them eat grass it makes them sick, the answer to that is, that is probably the reason they re doing it, because they feel unwell nd being sick relieves the pressure

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »
Thank you, that's good advice. Thankfully she does not have any problems with her digestion. Her poos are healthy and regular (except for when they are 90% grass), she does not vomit (not even after eating grass), her appetite is good. I think she just really likes it.   :003: Come to think of it she has been more obsessed with food in general lately. I guess I could consider a stool sample to make sure there are no intestinal parasites making her extra hungry. But she is at a good weight, healthy and happy, so I really think it is just her cocker brain not understanding moderation  :005:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 02:24:18 PM »
I knew I'd feel better hearing about your cockers being as silly as mine! Thinking they are herbivores :D I've told her a million times that she can't digest cellulose, but does she listen? I've heard all the theories too, but I think many animals just like the taste. Laurië is very particular about what type of grass she eats. She doesn't eat lawn grass, so no luck getting help maintaining the garden, sorry  ;) She only eats from the clusters of tall grass that pops up along the side of the road and around the outside of the garden. She started eating moss and dirt last year too. I started thinking about nutritional deficiencies when she did that. But she is on a veterinary diet and she gets extra supplements as well. She always gets vegetables with her dinner, and very often a piece of meat or fish too, pretty much a taste of whatever we eat (minus the spices). I think she probably eats better than me and you don't see me grazing like a cow. Not in public anyway :005:

>:D

:o :o !!! Just noticed this!! My fat fingers again, - it was supposed to be a  :005: , not a  >:D  sorry!!! You must have thought me very rude!!! I think I need to start pressing preview before I punch the post button!  :shades:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 05:35:33 PM »
I didn't think you were being rude, you are always polite. I figured the  >:D was aimed at the dog  :005:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 10:27:04 AM »
I have a grass eater too - can be found on a walk stopping for a graze whilst other cockers run on.  She is raw fed so sometimes wondered if she fancied a little greenery!  Yes I have problem the poo end sometimes, but I just put up with it.  She loves raw peas and pods too so at this time of the year perhaps the grass tastes the same!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 12:43:34 AM »
Smudge used to love that sticky weed stuff and I always wondered how a dog so fussy in other ways, coped with it in his throat, but he never choked...or was sick.  I found out later it's called Cleavers and is a medicinal/edible plant - so maybe it was good for him.  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline westergate55

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 07:36:59 PM »
I have a lab and a cocker my lab has been eating her food slower than usual and eating a lot of grass saw vet today got blood test which shows something wrong with her liver

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 11:37:53 AM »
Its most likely time of year as lots more new grass growth - mine do it all the time (I currently have 5 dogs doing it) but often just because they like it
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 08:23:32 PM »
Sometimes taking Rosie for a walk is like taking a sheep She grazes on so much grass.I was a bit concerned until the other day...met a lady with another Blue Roan, looked just like Rosie, we stood and chatted, looked down and both dogs were munching away on the grass....