Author Topic: server/computer questions  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
server/computer questions
« on: June 03, 2013, 09:33:37 PM »
Where would I find someone to give me advise about computers - sorry if that's a dumb question but it looks as if the charity I manage is going to lose our volunteer who has provided us with a server, set up our emails, configured our computers, bought our domain names, designed our website etc  He has his own server at home but if we stopped using that what would we do?

I need to find a person to answer me basic questions like:
Can we keep our domain names
What would happen to our emails - I have no knowledge of 'business' set ups, is it like home computing you go to Talk Talk or someone and do it through them??
I want to know how to find a person to guide me and give me ideas of how much this will all cost us, but have no clue where to start looking.  Do I just look for an IT consultant is that what they do answer questions like this or is there someone else I need to find? How do I know I am finding someone who is trustworthy and not going to rip us off because of my lack of knowledge.  I manage the funds and have to be accountable for how they are spent.

Due to sudden and unexpected health problems it is not possible for me to talk to my volunteer to ask this sort of question - he would normally have been my first port of call, but now that is not possible and I am in a right pickle as I just do not know where to start!  I would be really gald of any advice as to where to start - thank you   :-* :-*

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Re: server/computer questions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
I can't answer your questions but I'm sure there will be a few who can.

In the meantime, contact your local Voluntary Action group as they may have someone on their register who would be willing to step in and help.
Mary & Lottie x

Offline black taz

Re: server/computer questions
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:53:46 PM »
You could also try your local Business Link, Chamber or Commerce, or Which Magazine