Author Topic: Streaming movies from PC through TV - sound  (Read 1875 times)

Offline JeffandAnnie

Streaming movies from PC through TV - sound
« on: December 23, 2011, 10:26:22 PM »
OK, we have managed to work out how to make the TV show movies from the laptop by using OH's projector cable. However, we have a sneaking suspicion that we could make things an awful lot better. Currently the sound comes through laptop speakers, even though we have surround sound from the TV/video/Bluray.

We have found a website called Blinkbox and have managed to stream one of their (free) movies through to the TV. However, before buying a rental off blink box we'd like to find out if we can do the following, and if so how (happy to buy extra bits if required and not too pricey!):
- Have the sound coming through the surround sound system, not the laptop
- Have HD, or at least really good, visual

We have various ins and outs on the tv and laptops including USB on the laptops and multi-coloured holes on the TV. The kit we have is:
- TV Sony Bravia KDL40V4000: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tv-102-40-lcd/kdl-40v4000/tab/manual
- Recorder: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dvd-recorder/rdr-hxd890
- Blu ray/surround sound: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/SC-BT230/Specification/3796380/index.html?view=&angle=1

Can anyone recommend what/how to get what we want? Please be VERY simplistic - I have done searches and, although it does appear to be possible, all the answers are in technobabble and we have no idea what they mean :fear2:

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
Re: Streaming movies from PC through TV - sound
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 03:22:41 PM »
Hi

I'm no expert but have connected my laptop to my TV by an HDMI cable to view what is on the laptop.   The sound comes from the TV.   According to the link, your TV has three HDMI slots.

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas

Pat and Phoebe

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 04:49:36 PM »
Thanks. Finally found the solution, a jack to jack (single cable) for our TV. The HDMI would work but neither of our laptops have HDMI sockets  :-\

Offline theshrew

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 09:27:54 AM »
I also have connected mine via HDMI. I think you would be able to buy a USB to HDMI cable.

If your stuck have a post on AV Forums someone will defo have the answer for you on that site.

Offline JohnMcL7

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
Thanks. Finally found the solution, a jack to jack (single cable) for our TV. The HDMI would work but neither of our laptops have HDMI sockets  :-\

That is a simple and effective solution which should work fine, if you're looking for better audio you can go for a usb sound card with a digital optical out and link it straight to your amp that way.

John

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 10:07:15 PM »
Thanks. Finally found the solution, a jack to jack (single cable) for our TV. The HDMI would work but neither of our laptops have HDMI sockets  :-\

That is a simple and effective solution which should work fine, if you're looking for better audio you can go for a usb sound card with a digital optical out and link it straight to your amp that way.

John

Thanks john - not sure what language you are speaking, but it's way over my head  ;)