Author Topic: Tilly has been called a Tri colour twice now???  (Read 5806 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Tilly has been called a Tri colour twice now???
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »
You were lucky and that's great. For others reading though it does underline the importance of finding breeders that know and give all the relevant information though, particularly regarding parentage/health testing etc., as it may not always work out so well.
out of interest what do you mean by that.
also just googled sire side and his mum was black and his dad was golden. would he not carry the black that passes on?? this is all interesting but at the same time confusing (genetics)

A lot of people read the threads on this forum, both members and non-members, so we (moderators) need to point out that while it can sometimes work out ok if a breeder isn't perhaps as clear as they should have been and/or the buyer may not have been sure of what questions to ask, that may not always be the case and it's worth being aware of what to ask and check for when you speak to a breeder and/or go to view a litter - particularly when it comes to parentage and health testing as I said as these really are extremely important.

Would who not carry the black that passes on sorry, do you mean the liver dog or the sable one? If the sable one then yes, he could carry and pass on black as I said in one of my posts above "I *think* the dog would be either Bbeheh or BBeheh to appear as sable so could then pass on the black B gene (or it could be BB/Bb and then A/a something depending on where they think the sable gene appears!)" . If the bitch is actually a black tricolour though its a moot point as the black could/would have come from both of them. If you meant the liver dog though then no, he cannot carry or pass on black regardless of what colour his parents are as genetically he can only be bb (so no B black gene present).
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »
Thanks for explaining. I asked all the correct questions 're health checks but as a first time owner I don't really know what I'm looking for.
I meant the sable one which is her dad, like I said it was a whirl wind time.
Thank you for taking the time out to explain things more clearly.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »
No worries :D  Colour genetics is a really interesting subject!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »
Aren't they just. I have been looking at tillys certificate and are the high lighted red writing winning show dogs, they have sh ch before the names, also some are germ ch which are also high lighted red.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 03:24:39 PM »
Yes Sh Ch stands for (UK) 'show champion' (as opposed to FT - Field trial champion), and anything in red denotes champion status.  'Germ sh ch' would be German show champion.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 03:25:23 PM »
Thanks  :blink:

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »
Yes Sh Ch stands for (UK) 'show champion' (as opposed to FT - Field trial champion), and anything in red denotes champion status.  'Germ sh ch' would be German show champion.
(although - just to confuse things...  I 'think' on the continent the cockers may have to do some kind of working test in order to qualify for showing?  So they don't distinguish between 'show' champions and full champions as in the UK.  In the UK any show champion cocker is titled as so unless it passes a working certificate/test in which case it them becomes just 'Champion' as in full champion.  That's probably more confusing?!)  Anyway, that aside - Tilly is gorgeous  :luv:
Michelle, Emily and Ollie