Author Topic: Directional coat?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline lozzyf

Directional coat?
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:55:45 PM »
Is a black roan coat always curly/sticking up?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Directional coat?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »
Not always, but if she's been clipped it may well do and now that she's been spayed that will probably affect her coat texture too and make it more difficult to manage, but that may take a few months to happen.

Do you know much of her history? If she's had a fairly rough time in the past that may be contributing to the current state of her coat. I'm sure that once she's settled and is being looked after properly you'll notice some improvement, but you may want to consider keeping her at least partly clipped.

Offline lozzyf

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 06:54:11 AM »
She's been a puppy farm dog . . Her coat has never been touched and i have got the matts out by thinning scissors  and at times just cut then out due to the mess that was actually IN the mat!!!
  Her back seems to stick up in all directions and when she's more settled I prob will clip her but her coat is silky at the moment

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »
I think you're doing the right thing by trying thinning scissors as much as possible at the moment. I'm sure she must be a lot more comfortable already :luv:

Clipping once she's settled with you sounds like a good option as her coat is likely to become more fluffy and less silky over the next few months now that she's been spayed :D

Offline lozzyf

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »
Is that always the case?. . . I know it happened to my other cocker but I've seen other breeds that are spayed with silky coats?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:18:05 AM »
For some reason it seems to happen much more frequently with spaniel breeds. I don't know why though.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 02:42:23 PM »
It happens to most of the silky coated gundog breeds I think eg Setters and Spaniels. It also happens to breeds like Cavaliers (similar heritage to our Spaniels if you go back far enough) - I often see  woolly coated Cavaliers walking about and am guessing they are neutered too.

Coat changes in Cockers post neutering can vary - very fine coated dogs prior to neutering may just grow a slightly thicker coat but retain a decent texture but those with thicker coats already (often the solid blacks or the dark blue roans) usually grow much thicker, coarser coats, often with a woolly texture.
Jane

Offline lozzyf

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 09:28:17 PM »
She's black roan. . . So odds on she'll look like a frightened badger after a few months if I don't clip her!!!???  :005:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »
She's black roan. . . So odds on she'll look like a frightened badger after a few months if I don't clip her!!!???  :005:

She's a lovely dark blue roan from looking at your avatar but yes it's likely you will have to clip her eventually but it's still possible to do a "sympathetic" clip leaving some feathering etc so she still looks like a Cocker :D
Jane

Offline JEF

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »
After bathing your wildcoated cocker, try putting a dog coat  on them - either a proper one or a 'shine-on' coat or - as I do before a show because I can't afford the above! -  a coat made out of an old towel held in place around the throat with laces and under the belly too. keep it on for a few hours or overnight and you will have a lovely smooth shiny coat lying neatly flat and in proper direction.
Carmelfair Cocker Spaniels & Pointers

Offline lozzyf

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
Bit of a shampoo and set then!! . . . . Doesn't it keep them wet for longer?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 09:17:04 AM »
These coats are great for a temporary "fix" but the effect soon wears off I find :D
Jane

Offline lozzyf

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 12:32:47 PM »
The white hair on her seems to be shorter than the black/blue ? . . So that will make it stick out. . Also I have noticed on top of her head if I part it she has white under there!!!!! Which if I WAS to clipper she would have a " Black beauty" star . . . But it's hardly noticeable amongst the black as again its short.