Author Topic: Best advise to get off excess weight  (Read 5237 times)

Offline jessnjimmy

• Site Member
Re: Best advise to get off excess weight
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »
yes,

well done to you so far !!!!!! ;)
Linda, Jess and Jimmy xxxxxxxxx

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 04:20:57 AM »
Feed more veggies,  less dry food, true or not I was told dry food usually puts weight on. I weigh all there food especially after Christmas when Kody decided to eat the Christmas cake (not the whole cake but a good half dozen mouthfulls) >:(  my mother was not happy >:D the vet said he was a lucky boy because of the raisins and alcohol (I did immediately give both of them charcol tabs) ,then with Christmas left overs he was re named fat boy. Although the vet said he was perfectly fine and not over weight 14.5k. I did go back to measuring food they get 100g meat ( lamb/chicken/veal mince  or chunks) plus a large spoonfull veg plus small handfull of  quality dry food. chicken necks, lamb neck 1/3rd,  (wings can be fatty so I avoid them) chicken frame, 4 x 4 greyhound bisc (with kelp). It usually works out to if bone with meat in morning then sardines and veg for tea, if 4 X4 then  meat veg and bisc  for tea, sometimes I'll put the dry food still measured into treatball for morning then tea would be meat and veg. It evens out to daily, dryfood, veg, meat, bone, all in different order as to whether I've remembered to get food out of the freezer. I also make my own training treats which is a meatloaf  that consists of all plus some liver which is weighed as a meal replacement for club training nights so not to over feed when training. Fat boy is now not fat boy partly I think he just filled out or matured he is just 3.
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 06:48:35 AM »
Jet and I back to vets tomorrowafter 3 weeks on Yvartin. :-\ Been really strict with him and upped the exercise too. Can't say I notice any difference at all  :-\ although the other two are looking even thinner with the extra exercise. :huh: -and they were thin to start with.

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 10:57:43 PM »
Hi, just thought I'd add my two cents.

I asked on here about my Lhasa X who was putting on the pounds. COLers suggested "Burns High Oats" dry complete food (he was on a dry complete food anyway), and in a few months he's gone from 10.1kg to 8.5kg. He should be around the 8kg mark. So the Burns High oats is working for him, and he's a much happyer and payful boy now. Altough, it did take at last a month and a half or so to get started. But he's well on the way now!

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 09:28:41 AM »
There can be a huge difference in metabolism from dog to dog. Mine are both on raw but Zorro gets more than twice what Bella gets and never puts weight on. Bella is prone to weight gain very easily so gets low fat mince and rabbit (v lean) where Zorro gets full fat mince and chicken wings.

I would say if you're feeding chicken wings to clean his teeth then skin them first as they are quite fatty, and I'd just give him one rather than two.

To put it in context, an average day's food for Bella is 100g lean fresh rabbit in the morning and a measly 40g mince in the evening, bulked out with some veg. If she were on kibble she'd only need about 100g a day. She gets lots of offlead running around every day as well. She's a small girl, ideally about 10kg.
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009, 06:17:58 PM »
 :D Had upped his food from the 120grammes that I rationed him to, to 180-200 a day cos I was worried about it being too little and I took him to be weighed again the other day and his weight has increased from 14.7 to 15.05kg :police: I am still trying to find a happy medium for him at the moment but thanks for all the advise!!!!

Offline jessnjimmy

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 07:21:59 PM »
sorry to keep on but why don't you try him on Burns - look at the oil content of AG salmon and rice - it's much higher than Burns.   What I mean is - Burns is a decent bowlful but not calorifically  dense IYSWIM.  Arden Grange is quite high protein and fat for a dog trying to lose weight.  ;) :D
Linda, Jess and Jimmy xxxxxxxxx

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 08:07:48 PM »

Whatever food you feed you do have to be strict with the portions and what may not look like much to you must have been adequate for him  ;) as long as he has plenty of energy and looked well  ;)
Biba is on 80grams a day (40grm per meal) and if i go over that by just a little bit she puts weight on  :huh: some dogs are just more prone to putting weight on easily and also its seems harder to get the weight off those sort of dogs  ::)