Author Topic: Wont eat chicken wing  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Cocopop

Wont eat chicken wing
« on: July 06, 2009, 05:21:02 PM »

Hi, I have just given Coco her first chicken wing for her tea - i thought it would be a special treat for her but all she has done is carried it around the garden a bit and doesnt seem to want to eat it.

She has come back in and looked at me as if to say ' where's my proper tea mum?'  ::)

I think i will leave her for a while and see if she decides to tuck in - has this happened to anyone else?

thanks,
Michelle & Coco

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: Wont eat chicken wing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 06:05:32 PM »
Give her a bit longer.  My two took ages before they actually ate theirs.  They get two each and the 1st one always takes about 20 minutes before they actually get around to eating it.  The second is gone in about 5 minutes. :lol2:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 06:07:40 PM »
I flash fried mine - a chicken wing smells pretty bland so by quickly (and I mean 10 or so seconds on each side in a pan) flash frying them it gives it more of a delectable smell  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 06:12:51 PM »
Brodie was the same :005:. She stared at it for ages and then looked at me with her 'woe is me' eyes :luv:. Took her ages to eat it too, but she really enjoyed it.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline cerinrich

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »
Hattie's had chicken wings twice now and it's taken her a while to get going both times - and she's a greedy little pig! As supergirl says the second one goes much more quickly. Hattie tends to carry them around and lick them lots before crunching....

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 06:55:45 PM »
Was it chilled when you gave it to her? If so, next time pop it in a plastic bag (tightly tied!) and drop it in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes or so. This will give it a more enticing smell for her.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 07:10:49 PM »
Have you tried holding onto it for her? Offer lots of encouragement whilst she is crunching the bones - peace of mind for you too that everything swallowed is small enough  :D
Elaine & Mason X

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 07:47:12 PM »
Burying in the garden was the preferred option for some of my cockers. The rest looked at me and said" OK pull the other one!!" I guess the reaction would be the same if i tried again!!

Offline Cocopop

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 08:38:41 PM »

Thanks for the replies - she just wasnt interested in eating it.  She quite liked carrying it around and tried to bring it into the house but i'm a bit paranoid about it being inside, especially as she had it on one of the chairs (my 3 year old sons favourite chair!)  ph34r

Maybe i'll try another day and will try flash frying it first.

She's now had her portion of 'rabbit and turkey' nature diet instead and she's happy  :lol2:

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 08:45:42 PM »
I could just imagine her wee face when you gave her that for her tea! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 08:51:49 PM »

Honey does this with any new boney meal we give her - we recently gave her some chicken drumsticks and they were buried in the sofa, in the garden, anywhere she could...  >:D   I tend to follow with some anti-bac spray if she's buried it in the sofa!!!  ;)

Once she's figured out she is indeed allowed to eat them, she tends to eat them much quicker!!  :luv:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020