Author Topic: Okay, lots of reassurance please!!!  (Read 4414 times)

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
Re: Okay, lots of reassurance please!!!
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2012, 10:13:01 PM »
Its quite possible to do half and half Nina, long as Maisie will eat the kibble half of the day lol.  Be careful with the liver, some dogs can get a bit squitty with it... and you might find she doesn't like the texture, but you'll only find that through trying a little ;) Only other thing I'd say is add other meat sources in slowly so that you've got an idea if there's any that don't agree with her. 
If Maggie's staying with someone I'll generally pop her back on Naturediet if I don't think they'll be ok with feeding her raw.

Yes, I had a feeling liver can give the squitters  :005:. You're right too, I should add different things at some distance apart so we know what does and doesn't work for her.

What does Maggie like best?

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »
A lot of the mince she has is chicken based with other stuff added to it - lamb/mixed offal/oily fish/venison etc.... she has that with a couple of spoons of blitzed veg added in. Then she has various bone meals - chicken carcass, lamb ribs, rabbit etc.... and to be honest she loves it all  :005: Not found anything that she won't eat yet... tho she did immediately throw back up half a lambs heart, so we've got to try that one again  ph34r
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2012, 10:48:50 PM »
A lot of the mince she has is chicken based with other stuff added to it - lamb/mixed offal/oily fish/venison etc.... she has that with a couple of spoons of blitzed veg added in. Then she has various bone meals - chicken carcass, lamb ribs, rabbit etc.... and to be honest she loves it all  :005: Not found anything that she won't eat yet... tho she did immediately throw back up half a lambs heart, so we've got to try that one again  ph34r
:005:  :luv: :luv:... she sounds like a girl after my own heart then....a bit of a food hoover  :005: :luv:

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »
I have another question...sorry  :005:

Regarding fish, can you feed them fish heads, whole and/or minced? I was thinking of having a word on the fish counter in the supermarket.

I'm going to get some lamb ribs today if I get to leave the building for five seconds >:(

Offline Clare B

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
I've been watching this thread for a little , and I'm so glad Maisie had chilled down a chicken wing.  Flo has one almost every day after my vet recommended  for a daily feed one chicken wing and half a cup of good quality kibble.  I must say the first time she was given a wing ( out on the balcony where she can't bury it) I turned my back and it was gone in a second ... She was only a 8mths old and I had no idea they could chomp through them that fast... A waited anxiously... But no I'll effect, and now we only have to say chicken wing and she's salivating.... Her kibble comes a poor second meal now.  I have tried her on marrow bones but she licks and plays with them and when let inside she sneaks them in to put in a special hidey place or take them to the garden to bury.  I also now feed her chicken necks ( as they're lower fat than wings and we had a lot I'd very heavy rain when it was difficult to walk her... So the vet suggested the necks). My vet also suggested turkey necks, and also roo tails, which apparently are easy enough ti find here in OZ but I haven't managed yet so source.  I have to say the poos a much drier and manageable than before she was on the chic wings.
I haven't tried any fish heads etc, only tinned sardines on kibble,  but look with interest what anyone says about fish.  Flo has but given some raw prawn heads but turned her nose up at them.

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2012, 05:14:37 PM »
Wing number two today went down very well. She still tried to bury/hide it initially but gave up in the end. When that licky-lips flavour kicked in she couldn't resist! She munches them very nicely though :luv: and clearly loves them.

I've had DS's little cocker :luv: staying until this morning so have had to hold off with the wings/raw the last couple of days as he and Maisie 'share' their dinner :005: and he hasn't tried raw.....yet.

Might try something else over the weekend, still umming it over  :lol2:. Anyone one any ideas on the fish/fish heads?

PS. I ordered that Tom Lonsdale book of Amazon this week  :D.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »
Maggie has sprats complete with heads on occasion... she's had sardine as well but I did take the head off that just cos... :005:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2012, 05:31:03 PM »
Maggie has sprats complete with heads on occasion... she's had sardine as well but I did take the head off that just cos... :005:
:rofl1: ...it's them eyes in't it  :005:

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »
pilchards in tomato sauce here - usually for breakfast.

I also give smoked salmon trimmings (from asda, 98p per pack of roughly 120g).  I freeze them first though for at least 7 days at -20c.  There is some debate about whether or not raw salmon is good for dogs because it can have parasites.  However after doing some research on the subject I'm happy to give them human grade salmon, frozen as I said - this is how raw salmon in sushi is prepared prior to giving it to humans to prevent parasites being passed on to humans.  Good enough for humans, good enough for me :)
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »
Might try something else over the weekend, still umming it over  :lol2:. Anyone one any ideas on the fish/fish heads?
PS. I ordered that Tom Lonsdale book of Amazon this week  :D.
Never tried any raw fish with Fern, only tinned sardines.
I found the Tom Lonsdale book  really useful.
I also give smoked salmon trimmings (from asda, 98p per pack of roughly 120g).  
 Pre frozen raw salmon should be be fine, but I personally wouldn't advise smoked salmon because of the high salt content.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories