Author Topic: raw meat and bones?  (Read 882 times)

Offline lola B

• i am owned by Rosie the black cockerdile
raw meat and bones?
« on: May 30, 2012, 01:04:49 PM »
sorry to be posting about this again but i have a question about raw meat can you feed the bones separately? i have tried to get some info on the internet but got no where it would really be a lot handier if we could feed just meat and veg in the morning and then a bone in the evening as we are a bit rushed in the morning is this ok??

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Re: raw meat and bones?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »
Sounds alright to me. Bingley often has mince and then 'recreational' meaty bones or lamb ribs and he's been fine.
If time is an issue, there are certain companies that sell and deliver raw food with ground bone added I believe, that may be an option.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »
Yep thats fine...
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline mofi

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
Sounds good to me.  You could always just feed a chicken wing in the morning if you are worried about them not getting enough bone in their meal  :D
Lottie 05.07.09
Riley 23.10.10

Offline lola B

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »
thanks funnily enough that is what i have decided but when can you start feeding chicken wings to puppies and can you feed chicken thighs to???

Offline mofi

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:35:53 PM »
I would just stick to the wings if your feeding to a puppy.  How old is your pup?  If you are worried that she won't be able to crunch the bone you could always hit it several times with a rolling pin to help break it up  ;)
Lottie 05.07.09
Riley 23.10.10

Offline lola B

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 03:49:50 PM »
i wonder what my mum would think if she came down in the morning to see me hitting a raw chicken wing with a rolling pin  :shades: and i meant an 8 week old puppy dont have her yet :luv:

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »
I've seen some pictures of young puppies still with breeders having chicken wings. I think it would be fine. I personally find a hammer is better for bone smashing  :shades:

Some people advise against feeding weight bearing bones, i don't know if thighs would come into that?

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline lola B

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 05:29:50 PM »
is it ok to feed them just chicken wings or do you have to feed a range of different meat even when they are puppies because i do at least know that when they are grown  :shades:

Offline mofi

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »
I would start of with chicken and then gradually introduce other meats.  There are quite a few places that sell meat with bone in that would be very good for a puppy  ;)
Lottie 05.07.09
Riley 23.10.10