Author Topic: Natural Instinct - complete, working, banquet - is there a difference?  (Read 426 times)

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
Hi All,

I am looking to change my boys over to this from Royal Canin as I want their diet to be more 'natural'. Can anyone tell me if there is any real difference in the 'working', 'complete' and 'banquet' varieties. I can see from the ingredients that there is a slight change in the % of meat and bones and that the banquet has some extra supplements (NI say for older dogs that feel their age). I could really do with feedback from people who have tried the various packs and whether they noticed a difference in terms of enjoyment and health.

Finally, are the puppy and senior varieties a must or can all ages thrive on the adult varieties? I ask this, as other commercially prepared raw feeding companies don't have specific puppy and senior packs.

Thanks, Jacqui

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
William and Louis have NI about half the time, but I also buy raw meat and blitzed raw veggies from a local source, feed them tinned sardines/pilchards once a week, chicken wings sometimes and mix some liver in with their other raw food once or twice a week. The reasons for not feeding NI all the time are partly down to cost and also to give them more variety inc. oily fish and offal every week.

I always buy the cheapest that NI have in stock, which is usually their Working Chicken or Working Turkey. The ingredients are only very slightly different from other NI products but it's cheaper as it's sold as a food for working dogs and is therefore VAT free.

William is 8 now, so I recently did some online research to try and find out if I should change his diet to a lower protein one, as that's often recommended by vets and dog food manufacturers. That recommendation is still out there, but there's also plenty of sources suggesting that it's not the % of protein that's crucial, but the quality of it. So (hopefully rightly) I'm not changing William's diet at the moment. He has 1 Yumove tablet every day, but that's the only "concession" to his middle age so far.

Personally I don't think there's much difference between the different NI foods and I can't see any real benefit to my dogs in buying the more expensive ones unless they're on offer.

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Hi Jacqui,

We mainly buy puppy but also order a few tubs of the adult variety because Bingley is getting to the age when they suggest you switch from Puppy to adult. I should imagination the proportions are slightly different; obviously growing pups have different nutritional requirements to adult dogs.

Country Banquet is their 'posh' version I think,  the only difference I can see is that it has more added vegetables and so called 'superfoods'. I believe it also has supplements in it to help with joint issues. Bingley has had this and enjoyed it very much.

As for the working dog food, again it just contains slightly different supplements and extra vitamin c i think.

Bingley has tried pretty much all their varieties now because OH did the last order and got a carried away and ordered pretty much everything  :doh:
In terms of enjoyment I'd say Bingley loves them all. He did seem to particularly enjoy the working variety. No visible or marked changes in health.

I'd really recommend it, it is great food. We're very happy with it.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."