Author Topic: Whats in your dog dish today  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Re: Whats in your dog dish today
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 11:51:16 AM »
While doing research on veg added to a raw diet (which would then make it BARF) i came across this and thought it made good reading on some things to be careful of.  ;)

Why don't you have Broccoli in your mixes ?
We don t use broccoli in our mixes as it contains compounds known as "goitrogens".  Broccoli is also from the cruciferous vegetable family. This family (which also includes cabbage, mustard greens, radishes and brussels sprouts among others) while high in vitamin C and A, also contain oxalates. 
Oxalates can bind calcium in the diet and prevent its absorption, disrupting the Ca:Ph ratio in a raw diet if fed as a staple. Goitrogens bind iodine and if fed in excess can lead to hyperthyroidism. Dogs with existing thyroid issues(overactive/hyperthyroid) should avoid eating veggies containing goitrogens. The goitrogens in broccoli are inactivated with light cooking or steaming, which is easy to do at home if you wish to occasionally include broccoli in your dogs diet for the good things it contains, without the harm the raw product may cause.

We do use watercress in our Beef mix, which is also a member of the cruciferous vegetable family, however, it is low in goitrogenic compounds, and has a relatively high calcium content of its own. Watercress is a powerful neutricutical (natural food with medicinal properties) and is also extrememly high in vitamins A and C, and iron. It is used herbally as a digestive aid and to stimulate appetite. Great for those "picky eaters"! Watercress also contains Isothiocyanates (ITCs), which may have a protective effect on cancers of the gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts. It also contains organosulfur compounds (which cause the characteristic "hot" taste of the watercress),which have the possible benefits of reduced risk of colon, gastric and lung cancers and inhibited tumor promotion. Finally, watercress naturally contains quercetin, one of natures strongest anti-inflammatories, it is reported to be effective in treating prostate related problems and is a known anti-oxidant. Watercress sandwich anyone?

Taken from Raw4dogs.com

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline flower1

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »
Toby had Lamb Laughing dog complete with egg and brown rice burns pouch for tea. He tends to have the laughing dog as treats but we are trying to solve his itchy and I noticed there was no beet pulp in it :) But he had gone off the LD a bit lately so bought some of the pouches to mix in. The verdict? A very clean dish + happy dog = happy me. Another bonus was it took him longer to eat. Just going to have to convince the trouble maker (dad) to stick to this until we can see if it is working.
Lucy (28.5.1997-11.05.2010) & Toby (6.2.2010) :luv:

Offline lola B

• i am owned by Rosie the black cockerdile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 01:52:32 PM »
rosie had a ducks neck today for breakfast and a small bit of carrot ucks necks are her absaloute favorite  :D

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »
Ollie had, heart, tripe and beef mix for breakfast for tea he is having chicken veg and gravy.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »
Can people keep adding to this thread! I am wanting to keep Tobys new raw diet varied but bit like my own "diet" I need inspiration to keep it varied!

Also I must get him a smaller bowl, as the food looks lost in his big bowl (big bowl = why he is abit of a porker now !!!)

S

Offline Alex77

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »
Harrington's lamb and vegetables kibble :005: I feel rather mean looking at what the raw fed doggies get but hey ho they eat well and get their own raw meat when out and about (fish, dead rabbit or pigeon if I don't get to it first :lol2:).  Just the smell of all that raw meat'd make me wanna :020:
"the more one gets to know of men, the more one values dogs".

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »
Toby is loving his new regime! He never used to wolf his kibble down like he does his new food!

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »
pilchards in tomato sauce for breakfast, chicken wings and oven dried liver pieces for dinner!
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »
Chicken wing, liver and heart for breakfast. Haddock fillet and green tripe for tea.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »
Their weekly treat of tinned pilchards in tomato sauce for breakfast, then Natural Instinct chicken and tripe for tea with a spoonful of home blitzed raw veggies mixed in. Bit of a smelly day really :005:

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »
Chicken wing, liver and heart for breakfast. Haddock fillet and green tripe for tea.

Raw haddock fillet I assume - sorry still learning.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2012, 11:57:41 PM »

Raw haddock fillet I assume - sorry still learning.

Me too. Just started feeding raw last week. Yes, they were raw fillets. Barney loves fish. Pippa loves everything.  ;)

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2012, 12:45:17 PM »
For his breakfast today Ollie has had a pigs tail :005:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »
Jinley has had a chicken wing for breakfast (unless she has buried it for later)

For tea she has had breast of lamb and lambs kidney - flash fried with salmon oil.

Pat x

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2012, 08:24:57 PM »
For tea Ollie had, beef heart and carrot.. For breakfast he is having chicken wing.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010