Author Topic: Vegetables  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Andrea Ellie

Vegetables
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:10:18 AM »
Hi all, which vegetables are better, raw or cooked and I know carrots and broccoli are OK but are there any other veg that is OK to feed? Tried Ellie with some Natures menu raw veg and she turned her nose up yet she'll eat and raw carrot and some cooked broccoli.

Thank you for any advice.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Re: Vegetables
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:54:24 AM »
For veg, cooked is best as it's easier for them to digest.  You can feed carrots, peas, celery, sweet potato, green beans and beetroot.  Cauli and broccoli should be fed in moderation as apparently they can cause thyroid damage if eaten in big quantities.  I tend to just put a couple of spoons of our leftovers in the dogs' bowls from time to time.

I do feed raw carrots sometimes but more for a healthy treat, frozen in hot weather.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 09:03:29 AM »
Raw veg needs to be blitzed almost to a pulp to enable the dogs to get the most from it.  Theres a whole debate around whether they actually need veg, but I give mine some pulped raw veg occassionally. 
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Andrea Ellie

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 09:25:30 AM »
Thank you. I feed a lamb spine on Sundays to keep Ellies teeth clean and I can't then feed her a normal tea as its too much food so I want to feed her some veg. I gave cooked veg last week and it was good on her tum but wanted to check whether cooked veg was the way to go. Never thought of feeding beetroot.

Offline lizjane

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »
My boy goes wild for leftover garden peas after we have had dinner. You would think we had given him a massive treat!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »
All my dogs have adored raw carrot as a treat, and cooked in their food. In fact one day it was very quiet and Imwondered where the dogswere. Found four happy scotties sitting in the veg patch having dug up all the carrots and eaten them, and looking very happy  :lol2:
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Andrea Ellie

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 11:46:06 AM »
Aw bless them. Ellie loves a raw carrot and that's why I don't dare grow them anymore. I've had to put my strawberries in a hand basket this year too :-)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 11:55:10 AM »
Mine loves carrot too :D

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline mcinnd

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 01:50:48 PM »
I've not to date found a vegetable or fruit that my two don't like.
I was making a BLT for Saturday lunch for Kim and I, there was some lettuce and tomato left over so offered to Dolly and Silkie, gobbled down.
Kim was having some melon for breakfast on Sunday and again offered a few bits to the hungry twosome, again gobbled down.
Even raw potato gets scoffed.
The worst is that when I'm cutting the lawn and some of the trimmings get spilt the twosome are over it grazing like a couple of geese.

I've kept dogs now for over fifty years but never had any that liked vegetables and fruit with so much relish and yes they do like a bit of pickle as well.

David
Dolly & Silkie

Offline Mandy and Teddy

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 11:37:40 PM »
When we make chicken stock Teddy loves loves loves the carrots, it's a gourmet treat carrots poached with stock!

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 01:21:48 PM »
Another salad eater here. Particularly fond of sweet (not chilli) peppers.

As I understand it the idea of feeding cooked veg is that it is close to the stomach contents of they herbivore prey canids would eat in the wild. Not that I can see Mr B going out and bringing down an elk in the near future!

Offline moneypenny

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 10:09:26 PM »
Penny also goes wild about peas. If we ever shell fresh peas, she acts as if we are handling fillet steak. We make a great game of throwing them on the floor and she chases them and gobbles them up. She also adores beans, raw or cooked