Author Topic: Raw food and weight loss  (Read 6395 times)

Offline Toofast

Re: Raw food and weight loss
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 08:20:57 PM »
I would be more than happy to take advice from "Natures Menu", their company vet is Nick Thompson, a fantastic vet who has researched and is well educated in raw feeding!
He has done a lot of research into dog and cat nutrition and biology.  I would happily listen to his advice

Offline CrunchyMand

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 09:02:16 PM »
Right good idea. I will reduce his amount gradually over the next few months, starting with a high target weight. I will start with giving him 375g (1.5% of 25kg or should I go for 2% of 25kg?) a day for a week or two then reduce it further. I will know more when I keep getting him weighed to see if it's the right amount. He seems nice and content on his food, and no doubt feels better now the grains and artificial crap from Hill's are out of his system. His skin looks a lot better.
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 08:18:14 AM »
You & Oscar seem to be doing o.k.
His drinking will reduce enormously because he is not eating (sawdust) lots of filler, just pure meat.
Most vets are happy for you to just "pop-in" for weigh at any time, fortnightly sounds about right though.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline CrunchyMand

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 09:25:42 AM »
I've had a read around and decided to give him 400g a day which is 2% of 20kg. This 200g per meal looks a lot and no doubt will fill him up. I hope to see weight loss and if so will keep up with this amount. Oscar is loving his food so much. I just can't believe how little he is needing to drink now, it's a huge difference! He had a raw egg today and even munched on the shell to my surprise!
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
Its not an exact science as I think you're finding - very much dog dependant.  My 6 yr old was on 2% for a number of years an stable at 10kg, since i've had a second dog her weight dropped to 9kgs, purely from the extra activity of having him around.  So she gets a little more now, but not much as 9.5 is about right for her. 

See how he does on 2%, that and the increased exercise etc will hopefully shift some weight. If you don't see it then drop slightly. The reduction in water intake is very normal as the pick up a lot more moisture from the meat itself. Am sure he wasn't dehydrated before, just had to get it from elsewhere :)   

Good luck!
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline CrunchyMand

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 08:33:09 PM »
I've been feeding 1% of his current weight for 2 weeks coupled with an increase in walks and in 2 weeks he's lost 1.3kg. So chuffed to have found raw and found a way that works for healthy weight loss- finally have hope we can do this. Thanks for all the support. The vet didn't even challenge me when she found out I was feeding raw!
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2015, 12:03:42 AM »
I've been feeding 1% of his current weight for 2 weeks coupled with an increase in walks and in 2 weeks he's lost 1.3kg. So chuffed to have found raw and found a way that works for healthy weight loss- finally have hope we can do this. Thanks for all the support. The vet didn't even challenge me when she found out I was feeding raw!

That's a brilliant result in such a short space of time - way to go Oscar  :banana: you must be so pleased

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2015, 08:29:56 AM »
Good for you & Oscar  :clapping:............the vet really didn't have a leg to stand-on when what you are doing is working, it's a shame more vets aren't in favour of raw.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 09:22:24 AM »
1% on a raw diet is quite low. Think I would be feeding 2% of his target weight. Raw feeding is variety over time . Oily fish and lean meats like rabbit, chicken, turkey and veal, offal.

Erica.

Offline CrunchyMand

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
He was 30kg, so 1% was 300g. His target weight is 15kg, so 2% of that is 300g
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2015, 08:13:25 AM »
Well done you and Oscar!  300g sounds right long-term.  We feed our cocker that and she's a good weight and shape.  I don't count the veg in the weight though, just weigh out the 300g of meat/egg/fish/offal/bone and then chuck some cooked veg on top.

Offline CrunchyMand

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2015, 08:24:52 PM »
yes the 300g is just the meat. I grate some carrot, apple, courgette, green beans in etc
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »
Hi just wondering how Oscar (and you) are getting on with his diet?

Jayne
x

Offline Pam501

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2015, 01:02:53 PM »
Hi there

Not sure if you've sent this to the right person, but I did put a post on here regarding raw food diet but my dog's name is Toby.  He suffered badly from upset guts and was for the most part on antibiotics for 2 years.  All tests were inconclusive but the antibiotics seemed to sort him out.  I decided to give the raw food a try more or less as a last resort 7 weeks ago and the change has been dramatic.  I've not had to take him to the vets once and I think it's even prevented the anal gland problem that Toby had.  So for anyone else with similar problems, I'd say don't hesitate, give it a try.

Hope this helps.

Pam

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2015, 07:00:32 PM »
Mollie is 12k and has 2.5% which is 300g. She has half for breakfast (150g) and the other half for dinner with a snack at lunchtime.