Author Topic: Bathing.....without a bath!?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline benmc

Bathing.....without a bath!?
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:32:45 PM »
Hi

I was hoping if anyone could answer a query i have with bathing. I hope to get a working cocker pup beginning to mid september and i am currently in the process of purchasing and researching. I have a query how ever with regards to bathing as i dont have a bath.

The shower I have is a walk in (same length as bath) but I am worried if the pressure will be too much... would i be best using a watering can within the shower rather than the shower too wash and rinse etc? I will also use a rubber matting to protect the shower and save the pup/dog from slipping... can anyone advise if i would be best using the watering can or shower?

thanks

ben

Offline mcinnd

• Donator
Re: Bathing.....without a bath!?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »
If your getting a working cocker then they will be into every bit of water available.
The only reason either of mine get a wash is when like yesterday,  Dolly had a roll in fox poo and that was a bucket of water and some shampoo out in the back garden and quick shower off with the garden hose on a light spray.
David
Dolly & Silkie

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 02:13:37 PM »
I agree with David  :D I seemed to be bathing Pearl every week when she was young (show type) Coral has yet to have a bath (wcs) and ahas been with me for 15 weeks!  She volunteers into any bit of water *she can find and 'walks' tend to be too focussed to get too mucky but the more muddy walks also end with a swim opportunity  ;) I really don't want to ever have to shampoo her coat as it strips the natural oils - the water just runs off her coat where pearl seems to soak it up  ph34r

* yesterday at the gun dog fair she climbed into every water trough we stopped at and stood in the Falcons bath to drink when admiring the birds of prey  :005:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »
Does your shower have a shower attachment so you can rinse your dog easily, or will you have to get in there too?  :005:  A shower should be fine - I actually have an electric shower in my garage (put in by previous owner to wash dogs  :D ) and I use that with a cheap baby bath from IKEA.

As has been said, dogs don't need bathing very often normally anyway, so sure you will find a way that works for you  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline kate2

• ** Kiwi & Lilly ** 4yr old WCS girls
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 02:23:49 PM »
we have a bath but half the time the bathroom is too clean to let a cow poo covered cocker in it :005: so they get put in the sink and rinsed with a large mug :p they seem perfectly happy in there - they can look out the window and reach for the kibble  ph34r

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 03:28:00 PM »
My two working cocker girls aged nearly 8, have never had a 'proper' bath.  When they get really dirty and muddy in the winter or when they have rolled in something disgusting, they get a hose down with the outdoor tap  ph34r
When they are in need of a bit more than just water, I use liquid baby bath worked into their coats and then rinsed off well with nice cold water from the hose  :005:   I used to feel a bit mean hosing them with the cold water, but cold water doesn't seem to bother them when they plunge into a brook or stream in the midst of winter  ;)   Besides, I wouldn't want to have to carry a dirty cocker upstairs to wash in the clean 'proper' bath.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline benmc

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 03:46:10 PM »
Thanks for reply people! May aswell keep it to the hose pipe and watering can outside then, saves getting inside mucky and if the dogs dont mind it then hey i might just have a one sided water fight with it at the same time ey!

thanks for advice!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 03:50:48 PM »
if Gemma has a stinky roll in something she is sent to the nearest water course  :005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »
I bought a hozelock portable shower following a discussion on here about 2 years ago - it contains 5L of water that you can make as warm as you want (I carry a thermos in the car along with 3L of water in the tank) it's pressurised by pump action and is pretty effective. I've barely used it since buying is as mentioned before I'm a bit more savvy about the routes we walk in wet weather now  ;)

Offline benmc

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 06:43:25 AM »
ill have a google or ebay on that now seems like a good plan!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 07:42:18 AM »
I've got two show types, both with quite a lot of coat, but they're rarely bathed (and they don't smell :005:). We walk in the New Forest every day so they collect quite a lot of vegetation and mud, mostly in their leg and tummy feathering, but luckily for me one never rolls in anything gross and the other one only rarely.

I find everyday vegetation and a bit of mud is best left until the dog has dried out, then brushed out, followed by a whizz round with the Dyson to pick up the stuff that's ended up on the floor.

My younger dog is entire and when he's busy cocking his leg on trees etc. he tends to hop along (his idea of multitasking) so I give his undercarriage a quick hose off every few days or it starts to smell of pee :P

I think most dogs don't need a lot of bathing unless they roll in fox poo and dead things. Fingers crossed your puppy won't be a roller :D

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »
As Joules has suggested - a cheap plastic baby bath would seem to be the answer for you.

Offline benmc

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
thanks for all the help and info people!