Author Topic: Between pads...  (Read 1407 times)

Offline PollySpaull

Between pads...
« on: June 30, 2015, 11:18:37 AM »
Hi all!

Monty is 18 weeks now and needs a trim between his pads, little hairy monster! I was wondering what method is going to be best. I don't want to clipper his coat but is it okay to clipper between his pads? Or is it best to trim with scissors?

Thanks all! Polly and Monty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hamad

Re: Between pads...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:48:18 PM »
It's great you're doing this from an early age! I use straight edged scissors from diamond edge, they're excellent.

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:17:21 PM »
Thanks Hamad, think the scissors will be the best option! Fingers crossed!!

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 11:51:34 PM »
Does anyone have any advice? I've just attempted to do montys paws but the poor thing was crying like I was about to chop off his whole leg!
He was lovely and calm to start with and we showed him the scissors and gave him a treat, but had to stop as the noise was upsetting! We were reassuring him and treating but nothing seemed to work! Help!!

Offline Miadanu

• Donator
  • Merlin
    • COL Sussex Meetups Information Thread
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »
You probably need to take it a little slower.  I can recommend Karen Pryor's click for grooming if you are going to groom your own dog at home.

Re treats, whilst you are actually cutting the hair initially you may find it more effective to spread some Philadelphia or pate into a lid so they can lick it off instead.  Then have a break, a play, rinse and repeat.

There are also some threads on here previously about how to cut paws (don't cut in between pads, cut level with and use thinners for between tops of toes).  Good luck!

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »
Every spaniel we have owned has been sensitive about their feet and all developed the knack of seemingly being able to hide all four paws at once!

With William now three we still have to distract him with treats when it comes to the hair between his pads, and I have to work very quickly.

I use straight grooming scissors for the job although I have seen some blunt ended with a slight concave shape which are probably better for getting between the pads with less risk of cutting the pad. I should add that I don't cut deep between the pads but sometimes small hard clumps of hair can be felt, possibly combined with dried mud or such like, and these can be difficult to cut or tease out.

Here's a link to the type of curved scissor I mentioned above, I think I will get a pair of these.

http://simpsons-online.co.uk/shop/roseline-safety-curved-4-5/

Offline KeresleyKate

• Arvy
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 10:32:04 AM »
Hi we had problems when Arvy was young. We did a lot of getting him use to us just stoking and touching paws and holding them for a few days first. Don't try to do too much at a time.  Also try not to hold too tight and try to be calm as you can. They pick  up on your stress. A trainer once demonstrated on us the difference in someone grabbing your wrist or just holdng it gently underneath.
Giving treats didn't work for us, Arvy sometimes throws a wobbly still but I just persist and hug him close to my side or stroke his chin, he gets a gravy bone when we're all done.

Good luck Kate

Kate