Author Topic: Jack and His Anal Gland Cancer  (Read 5196 times)

Offline DeniseS

Jack and His Anal Gland Cancer
« on: July 04, 2015, 09:05:52 AM »
If you remember, Jack was diagnosed with anal gland cancer over seven months ago, when palliative care was suggested, because it had spread to his lymph nodes. I thought I'd update you on his progress.

Despite everything, he is doing well and enjoying his life. I know it's not always easy to tell with dogs, but he seems to be pain free and I'm sure I'd pick-up on small tell-tale signs if it were otherwise. He's still on
Loxicom. He's eating well still and last week at the monthly Vet check he'd gained a few ounces - it's me who has lost a stone and a half!  :005: He certainly keeps me busy! I have however, thrown the rule book out on his recommended diet. His stools became very hard and for a couple of months I've put him on ordinary dog food, which has worked so well. He now has no trouble going regularly and normally. Phew! It's strange, because I can't remember a time when he was so free of chronic infections to his ears. Apart from a preventative ear wash twice a week and a light dusting of Thornits, nothing more needs to be done.

He still has plenty of energy and thoroughly enjoys the spoiling we all give him. I know the clock's still ticking, but he's enjoying life and nobody would ever guess he's so gravely ill. I'm sure this will sustain me later down the line. Until then, life's good for my boy and I enjoy him more now than I ever have, which I didn't think possible.

So, if ever you find yourself in a similar situation take heart and embrace each new day as it dawns. It took me a while to absorb the prognosis, but I treasure Jack and my journey and may it last as long as possible. I feel blessed at the privilege of having him in my life.  :bigarmhug:

Offline luckypenny

Re: Jack and His Anal Gland Cancer
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:19:55 AM »

"So, if ever you find yourself in a similar situation take heart and embrace each new day as it dawns. It took me a while to absorb the prognosis, but I treasure Jack and my journey and may it last as long as possible. I feel blessed at the privilege of having him in my life"   

That is such a touching message - I hope you do have a lovely long journey together.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 09:37:14 AM »
Lovely update, hope you have plenty more time together  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 02:19:54 PM »
That's such a lovely update.  :luv: I only had 6 weeks with my boy Dickin after his diagnosis and you are right, every day with him was a blessing.

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 08:18:44 PM »
Fabulous update. Keep going Jack. I got six extra years with my beloved Jasper.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 09:28:55 PM »
So lovely to hear that you are both having fun, and you are right, take each day as a gift.  :bigarmhug:

Offline Gillsy64

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 01:47:15 PM »
Great to hear he is doing well, I had an extra two and a half years with my boy Jarvis. Enjoy every day with him  :D :bigarmhug:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 10:13:59 PM »
It is so good to read this, I have a little tear in my eye at how well Jack's doing :luv:. I hope he continues to do so for a long time yet.

Thank you for this message, it is incredibly reassurring to read that a dog can enjoy life despite this horrible disease. May he continue to be pain free and happy :luv:. Hugs to you and Jack :bigarmhug:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline annclare

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »
Bless you both. xxx

Offline LindaJ

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 09:22:25 AM »
It is lovely to read that despite what he has been through Jack is still enjoying life and you are able to have more time with him. I hope he continues to do well and you have many more happy days together.xx

Offline DeniseS

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 08:23:58 AM »
Many, many thanks to you all for your kind thoughts and best wishes for Jack. I very much appreciate them.  x

Jenny - I'm delighted to read that Brodie has completed her treatment and is doing so well. You have both been so brave and may the reward be many more happy years spent together.  :bigarmhug:

MM, you've been supportive since Jack and my journey began and it means so much to me, as does the kindness of everyone who has written of their interest. Thank you all once again. xxx

I'll keep you posted of Jack's progress.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 08:25:27 AM »
Great news at least for now

With Ruby and her tumour I knew I didn't have long (no treatment was offered really as it was so invasive it would involve removing half her face which we wouldn't entertain) so made the most of what time we had right to the end.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline DeniseS

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 08:36:03 AM »
Thank you Penny. It's a blessing to be given these valuable months to share more time with my boy. It seems that you were not quite so fortunate, but no doubt, in the time you were given you have stored many, many happy memories. I'm sure that sustains you, as I'm sure it will me.

Jack's eighth birthday is on 5th September, so that's our next target. I'll make the Forum my first visit of the day to celebrate with you all! See you then.  :-* :-*

Offline DeniseS

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 09:43:53 AM »
Well, it's Jack's 8th birthday today and he continues to enjoy his life, with very few problems.  :luv:
We have a great day planned for him, with many, naughty treats that he so enjoys. His main present is to be groomed next week. He loves this outing and is such a good, co-operative boy. The groomers all love him.

Apart from being a little slower and eating a little less, he's holding his own. He still paddles in the sea every day and all the infected sites are under control. The vet's delighted with him. My dog walking group sent him a birthday card, which he sniffed, decided it was nothing edible and lost interest.  :D

It's more than we dared hope for, last December, but Christmas will be his next milestone. God willing he'll make it. My brave, lovely boy deserves to.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 12:10:21 PM »
Happy Birthday you sweet brave boy.  :luv: hope you get lot of special treats. Keep well. Xx