Author Topic: Kennel names & litters  (Read 4590 times)

Offline tris

Kennel names & litters
« on: July 04, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »
I have been browsing the MyKC site and its a great way to see your dogs pedigree family and litter sizes etc. Really enjoying some of the names. My boss dug out his dobermanns line and his great grandad was called 'Steamroller Stanley'  :005: A question I have is if you have a female cocker and she has a litter one day how is the cocker name/puppies names decided upon?

For example if the litters mums kennel was called Cyclone, pups called cyclone A,B,C,D,E,F for example and you were to buy Cyclone A. When she has pups does the Cyclone name continue or does the owner have an input on a new line within the pedigree?

Hope that makes sense?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Kennel names & litters
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 03:32:36 PM »
I have been browsing the MyKC site and its a great way to see your dogs pedigree family and litter sizes etc. Really enjoying some of the names. My boss dug out his dobermanns line and his great grandad was called 'Steamroller Stanley'  :005: A question I have is if you have a female cocker and she has a litter one day how is the cocker name/puppies names decided upon?

For example if the litters mums kennel was called Cyclone, pups called cyclone A,B,C,D,E,F for example and you were to buy Cyclone A. When she has pups does the Cyclone name continue or does the owner have an input on a new line within the pedigree?

Hope that makes sense?

It makes sense, but no idea of the answer, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »
No expert but I think...

Cyclone A's pups would need another Kennel name, so her pups could be Lightening A,B,etc

Cyclone is the Breeders Kennel name and has been registered to that person, no other pups can be registered by someone else using that name.

If I see any dogs with my girls kennel name then I know who breed them.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 04:36:02 PM »
Breeders can apply for a Kennel Name (sometimes called an affix) that they then use when naming puppies. For instance, William's breeder had the Kennel Name Arianaharbor. William is Arianaharbor Sweet William. His litter brothers and sisters names also start with Arianaharbor, as did the names of the puppies that she bred from another bitch a couple of years later. So if I spotted a Cocker whose name started with Arianaharbor I'd know it had been bred by William's breeder.

Breeders sometimes breed more than one breed, or perhaps change from breed to another. They keep their Kennel Name regardless of how many or which breeds they breed. Louis' breeder now breeds "Imperial" (miniature) Shi Tzus. So there are several litters of those whose names start with the same Kennel Name that Louis has.

If a breeder doesn't have a Kennel Name they can still register pedigree puppies with the Kennel Club, providing both parents are KC registered and are of the same breed of course! The KC will check their database to ensure that a dog of the same name isn't already registered in the breed. There's a limit to how many letters a name can have and I expect they don't allow rude or suggestive names and brand names or famous names. A friend of mine had a Border Terrier called Barney, but they wouldn't allow her to register him as Barney Rubble. I think he ended up as Barney Rabble :lol2:

Offline tris

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 07:03:26 PM »
Thankyou for the replies. Elaine so following your example above once you purchase a puppy from a breeder, lets say the puppys kennel name is Phoenix star, his brothers and sisters are all Phoenix burrow and Phoenix tree for example, when the owner of Phoenix star has a litter will the phoenix then carry on as a general matter of courtesy? unless the owner of the litter prefers to change the name to make it their own so to speak?

I can see why certain breeders would want to keep a particular name going if it had a great heritage, Quite an interesting subject. I wonder if Phoenix star had a litter but the owners were not interested in naming them as a breeder how the decision is made on what name they are given if registering with the Kennel Club?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 07:13:40 PM »
There's a limit to how many letters a name can have and I expect they don't allow rude or suggestive names and brand names or famous names. A friend of mine had a Border Terrier called Barney, but they wouldn't allow her to register him as Barney Rubble. I think he ended up as Barney Rabble :lol2:

We might have had some trouble then, if I wanted to register my little one Branston (cos he is a pickle) Instead I kept to his original KC name and just call him Branston  anyway  :005:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 07:29:14 PM »
Thankyou for the replies. Elaine so following your example above once you purchase a puppy from a breeder, lets say the puppys kennel name is Phoenix star, his brothers and sisters are all Phoenix burrow and Phoenix tree for example, when the owner of Phoenix star has a litter will the phoenix then carry on as a general matter of courtesy? unless the owner of the litter prefers to change the name to make it their own so to speak?

I can see why certain breeders would want to keep a particular name going if it had a great heritage, Quite an interesting subject. I wonder if Phoenix star had a litter but the owners were not interested in naming them as a breeder how the decision is made on what name they are given if registering with the Kennel Club?
Sticking with the Phoenix theme - if Phoenix is a registered Kennel Name with the Kennel Club it will be registered to one particular person and only that particular person can use it. So if somebody bought a Phoenix bitch puppy and subsequently bred from it they wouldn't be allowed to use the Kennel Name Phoenix. They could choose to register their own Kennel Name or could just choose names for the puppies that were acceptable to the KC, not already in use as names of other Cockers, and register them under those names.

This link to the KC may help http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/registration/registering-your-pedigree-dog-litter/litter-registration-faqs/ and includes something I didn't mention before, which is that breeders can place endorsements on puppy pedigrees stating that if an endorsed puppy is bred from the puppies won't be eligible to be registered with the Kennel Club. So if the Phoenix breeder put that endorsement on the pedigrees of puppies she bred it would mean that if any of those puppies were used for breeding, either as stud dogs or dams of litters, their puppies wouldn't be eligible for KC registration.

Offline tris

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 07:51:35 PM »
Thankyou Elaine that is very useful. It seems odd that a breeder would place an endorsement on puppies from a litter, surely this would 'devalue' a litter if this was enforced? I know that sounds a little daft but knowing your pet is from a good line of pedigree seems to add alot of value if you look through a classifieds section online.

Or are these restrictions placed on a number of the litter to limit the number able to become registered to somehow enhance the value of those with no restriction?

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 08:08:47 AM »
The endorsement is not so the dog isn't KC registered.  The endorsement means that anyone buying that dog can't register any litters that the dog has or sires with the Kennel Club.  It's to try to stop people breeding indiscriminately.  When we bought our puppies they had the endorsement but both breeders said if we wanted to breed from them in the future, they would look at the dogs to see if they were suitable (met breed standard for looks and temperament and were healthy with health checks done) and if everything was okay, they would lift the endorsement.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »

We might have had some trouble then, if I wanted to register my little one Branston (cos he is a pickle) Instead I kept to his original KC name and just call him Branston  anyway  :005:

Our breeder asked what my pups pet name would be, they said they would try to get it in her KC name, when I picked Bea up I was handed her Papers, the Breeder apologised as she could not get the same spelling.

I think we ended up with something very special, my girl is Philford Olympic Team GeBe  :D