Author Topic: Bad boy and gates  (Read 438 times)

Offline nigec

• Henry
    • 3d stuff
Bad boy and gates
« on: June 30, 2015, 06:35:07 PM »
Our 2 and a fair bit working type cocker has a very random issue with people walking past the gate... he's been out there 3 hours and never made a sound!
When he goes on one he has little kids screaming and sounds very aggressive, this dog cuddles kittens usually! If someone stops at the gate he's a nightmare
We think the brat up the street stood on his nose as he lays by the gate and can get his nose between the wood.. we covered higher up so kids can't put their hand through
He always has issues with the postman, I have to literally out run him to the door, again he barks like a lunatic
This dog wouldn't hurt a fly usually but we're getting worried someone is going to report him or he gets caught up in the moment and actually hurts someone.. I don't think he would but hey he's a dog
As a pup he was very good and never really got told off, so now if you tell him to stop he just looks at us blankly and carries on

Sometimes its a knock on effect from other dogs barking, other times its wheels, but he definitely doesn't like the kid up the street.. or just gets it into his head someone needs to know he's there

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Bad boy and gates
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:04:51 PM »
This is stating the obvious, but because of his unpredictability, it would be far safer if he didn't have access to the gate. It would be appalling if he bit somebody, but even the fact that he frightens people has the potential for you to be investigated as having an out of control dog if somebody reports that they were afraid that they might be injured by him.

Here's the relevant information:
https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public

There doesn't have to be an injury, just the perception by somebody that they might be injured.

Lots of dogs don't like postmen. My two bark when the front doorbell rings or when they hear things coming through the letterbox. If I have to answer the door I shut them in a downstairs room and leave them there while I answer the door. After a few seconds they stop barking. I never allow them to answer the front door with me, even though one of them is very friendly and the other would keep his distance, because I'm not willing to risk having them reported under the above legislation.

You might also find that by keeping him away from the gate he will become more relaxed, because he won't have that constant worry or whatever it is that triggers the barking.

Offline nigec

• Henry
    • 3d stuff
Re: Bad boy and gates
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 12:22:09 AM »
The postman, yes he (Henry) gets shut in the room while I retrieve the letters.. likewise answering the door, he's over friendly and jumps up at people
People can talk to him at the gate and he's fine, but as soon as we go up there he goes nuts, tonight he didn't bark at all
If people talk and then walk away he'll bark, he does it to the lady next door, its as if he's saying "I'm still here!"
he has to have a cooling off period after the postman's been, also we let him check letters and parcels for bombs this stops him barking and jumping at the door, he needs at least an hour because he doesn't forget. Luckily our postman is consistent on times.. worst thing really Henry can open doors so its really hard to lock him in lol

I guess the easy thing to try is covering the gate higher, its about 5 foot tall and at the bottom were he looks through and see if that does any good.. there's no way to stop him getting to the gate

Our last dog you could tell if it didn't like someone, Henry's body language is over excitement, he's a typical Cocker and he's a nutcase but in a nice way, but it doesn't sound like that to someone passing by, he has a hell of a bark for a small dog!

I'll try blocking the rest of the gate out tomorrow