Author Topic: New Pc/laptop  (Read 7622 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 04:01:23 PM »
:) Thanks for the info everyone - I am still not sure which is the best way to go.  :blink:  I would really like a laptop, but the broadband modem won't reach to where I would want it and I'm not sure if I can get an extension - off to have a look on the website shortly  :rolleyes: Also not sure if I can move the broadband from my current PC to the laptop  :blink:

If I go for a new PC I have the problem of saving my files, as it does'nt have a CD writer and also I'll have to work out how to move MS Office to the new PC.

..........this is all way to complicated for a PC dumbo like me  :rolleyes:  :blink:  :lol:  :lol:

Mary - hope you get on ok tonight - let me know how it goes  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 04:25:01 PM »
I'm shopping for a new laptop too, Sue.

I've narrowed it down to a few possibilities: I decided what spec I want, bought Computer Shopper and PC Advisor magazine, looked what was available, and drew up a shortlist. It gets a bit confusing as there are so many different types of processors about at the moment, so I've been bombarding my technical friends with emails "is this a good processor?" etc. I'll also go for a 3 yr warranty as that kind of thing is important to me, and there are a few companies that provide them as standard, though most provide 1 yr and you have to purchase an extended warranty at extra cost.

Happy hunting anyway  :)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 04:36:14 PM »
Mike - I've been buying computer mags for some months now and still can't make up my mind, its all so confusing, so much choice nowadays  :blink:

Good luck with your search xxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 04:39:47 PM »
So come on Mike, let us in on all the advice you've been given.  I want to go along tonight sounding as if I know what I'm talking about :D  :blink:

Suzy, will let you know how we get on :unsure:
Mary & Lottie x

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 04:45:22 PM »
Thanks Mary - good luck  ;)

..........where are you Mike?  :lol:
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 04:52:00 PM »
I'm here!  :D

Well, I knew what spec I wanted within my budget (I'm not spending any more more than £800), so it was just the type of processor I needed help with as I don't know anything about them! I've narrowed it down to two laptops with identical specs, apart from the processor: one with an Intel Pentium 4- 530+ HT (3.0GHz Prescott) Processor, the other with an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor.

Almost all of my friends have told me to go with the Pentium 4, so I think I probably will. That's all I can say really :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 05:56:41 PM »
:) Thanks for the info everyone - I am still not sure which is the best way to go.  :blink:  I would really like a laptop, but the broadband modem won't reach to where I would want it and I'm not sure if I can get an extension - off to have a look on the website shortly  :rolleyes: Also not sure if I can move the broadband from my current PC to the laptop  :blink:

Suzie

We have wireless networked the house so I can use my laptop anywhere and still surf etc - PM me if your interested as OH has some spreadhseets he did for a colleague recently that sets out what you need and how it works  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 06:20:33 PM »
:) Aw thanks Rachel - have pm'd you  ;) x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 06:21:20 PM »
;) Thanks for info Mike x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline PennyB

New Pc/laptop
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2005, 10:18:04 PM »
Hiya,

This may sound like a bit of overkill, but I'd recommend 1GB of RAM and 60GB of hard disk space, if you can afford this.  It's much cheaper to buy now that you're buying a new system, rather than upgrading later.

Processor does make a difference - many people reckon that Celeron is too outdated to be any good, but honestly any other current Intel or Equivalent processor should be fine.

HTH

Steve
[snapback]122715[/snapback]

Do you mean 1GB of RAM as even on some of say Dell's good machines you can't get 1GB of RAM or do you mean 1000+ MB
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2005, 11:06:44 PM »
Went along tonight to see the chap who is building us one and he's already done it :rolleyes:   Hubby had rang him a couple of weeks back about the idea and he got going on it immediately.

He talked us through everything (mind boggling :blink: ) and basically it seems to have everything we need plus tons more B) . Don't ask me to go into detail as he bombarded us with so many figures and facts that I lost the plot.

He's also coming out to set it up for us and look at networking our other PC's (my laptop and our old PC which my daughters can use).  Which leads me onto the questions of wired or wireless networking :unsure:   He advises wired as he says there are security issues regarding wireless ones.  Any thoughts anyone?
Mary & Lottie x

Offline daunting

• Site Member
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 11:13:32 PM »
I'd be interested to know what security issues there are with the wireless one as i have that for my sons laptop and was going to do the same when my daughter gets one in a couple of months!!

I think a purpose built computer is a great idea as when looking for Pc's i found that there isn't one that has everything you want so ended up settling for the best that could be bought with the money available.
And then buying things to make it better :huh:
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 11:14:46 PM »
:) Glad you are sorted Mary  ;) x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline ReadingSteve

• Site Member
    • Buddy
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2005, 08:50:12 AM »
He's also coming out to set it up for us and look at networking our other PC's (my laptop and our old PC which my daughters can use).  Which leads me onto the questions of wired or wireless networking :unsure:   He advises wired as he says there are security issues regarding wireless ones.  Any thoughts anyone?
[snapback]124004[/snapback]

I'd be interested to know what security issues there are with the wireless one as i have that for my sons laptop and was going to do the same when my daughter gets one in a couple of months!!

[snapback]124006[/snapback]

I'd definitely recommend wireless. It can be quite safe if you follow a couple of simple rules.

1) Make sure that the router you get has a firewall built in - don't rely on the software routers that you get with Windows.

2) Make sure you set up encryption on the wireless system. This means that you need to enter a "key" on the set-up for the wireless router, and then the same key on each of the PCs that you want to access the network.  Otherwise if you run "unencrypted" anyone within range can share your Broadband connection and potentially access the PCs on your network.

Having said that, there is something nice about having a piece of wire connecting you to your network! But think about having wires all around the house......
Live Long and Prosper!

Offline ReadingSteve

• Site Member
    • Buddy
New Pc/laptop
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2005, 08:52:35 AM »
Hiya,

This may sound like a bit of overkill, but I'd recommend 1GB of RAM and 60GB of hard disk space, if you can afford this.  It's much cheaper to buy now that you're buying a new system, rather than upgrading later.

Processor does make a difference - many people reckon that Celeron is too outdated to be any good, but honestly any other current Intel or Equivalent processor should be fine.

HTH

Steve
[snapback]122715[/snapback]

Do you mean 1GB of RAM as even on some of say Dell's good machines you can't get 1GB of RAM or do you mean 1000+ MB
[snapback]123979[/snapback]

Hi there,

Yes I mean 1024MB. You can definitely get by with less - 256MB would be the minimum these days, but if you want to be future proof, I'd go for the 1024MB right at the start. Probably won't add more than £100 or so to the price of the PC.
Live Long and Prosper!