Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 2804 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
New Computer
« on: May 01, 2005, 02:57:04 PM »
Another computer question - sorry  :ph34r:

When I get the new computer can I transfer my MS Office (I have the discs) or can it only be used on the original puter ...... and also do you know if Norton Anti Virus is transferrable as I've only just renewed it ?

Hope you're not sick of me  :ph34r:  :blink:  Thanks x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
New Computer
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 03:59:13 PM »
should all be transferrable as long as you have the relevant key codes :)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
New Computer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 04:05:40 PM »
Thanks Pam - will get paperwork out  ;) x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
New Computer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 04:15:31 PM »
Suzy, what are you planning on doimg with the old PC?

If you are planning on selling it or giving it away you should make sure you remove any of the programmes you want to keep first so that you stay within the license agreements  :rolleyes:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
New Computer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 04:19:11 PM »
Not sure yet Rachel - not sure whether to buy laptop and keep PC, or may replace my PC and give away the old one......... so thanks for the tip  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline ReadingSteve

• Site Member
    • Buddy
New Computer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 08:31:03 AM »
Hi there,

I've been offline for a few days, so didn't notice this post until now.  How simple it will be to remove and reinstall your office depends on what version you have. If it's one of the more recent versions (Office 2002, 2003, XP) then you may have some small (but not unsolvable) problems.  Issue is that with the recent software, Microsoft have adopted a one-time registration process whereby you can only use your licence key to unlock one installation on one PC.  This means that when you come to try and register the copy on your new PC, it may fail, and you may then have to make a phonecall to Microsoft to persuade them that you've uninstalled your old copy and are now installing on a new PC.

If it's an older version like Office 2000 then this shouldn't be an issue for you.

Hope all goes well!
Live Long and Prosper!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
New Computer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 07:32:08 PM »
:) Thanks for that Steve  ;)

Think I've decided to keep my PC and use it for word processing and that will save transferring my MS Office over and also I can keep my files.   I think I will get a laptop so I can be lazy and sit on my sofa and play on COL !!  :lol: ..........so I will use it primarily for the net and will swop my broadband to that instead of the PC.

I have seen a good value Evesham laptop for £499 that has 256mb memory and 40gb hd (my current pc is Evesham and I've had seven problem free years with it).  

Do you think this would be adequate if just using it for the net and obviously I'd need a virus checker on there too (not sure how much memory they need  :blink: )

Thanks x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
New Computer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 08:15:24 PM »
I know I don't know much about computers but I'm sure if you're just using the laptop for the likes of the internet then that should be adequate :huh:

I recently bought a reconditioned laptop and I use it for just the same reasons (although I still can't sit in front of the TV and use it until we are networked :rolleyes: ).
Mary & Lottie x

Offline ReadingSteve

• Site Member
    • Buddy
New Computer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 08:18:32 PM »
:) Thanks for that Steve  ;)

Think I've decided to keep my PC and use it for word processing and that will save transferring my MS Office over and also I can keep my files.   I think I will get a laptop so I can be lazy and sit on my sofa and play on COL !!  :lol: ..........so I will use it primarily for the net and will swop my broadband to that instead of the PC.

I have seen a good value Evesham laptop for £499 that has 256mb memory and 40gb hd (my current pc is Evesham and I've had seven problem free years with it). 

Do you think this would be adequate if just using it for the net and obviously I'd need a virus checker on there too (not sure how much memory they need  :blink: )

Thanks x
[snapback]124698[/snapback]

Yes for general purpose Internet and email, that will be fine.  Enjoy!
Live Long and Prosper!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
New Computer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 08:20:17 PM »
;) Thanks Mary and Steve - I promise not to ask any more silly questions on computers  :ph34r:  :D xxxxxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"